trying to fight algae

Reaction score
ok, a few years back, my mother and I put a small 100 gallon fish pond in her back yard. since then it has green water and the water fall that we built out of big pieces of flagstone is completely covered in green algae. now, i just finished installing my own 200 gallon fish pond at my house and i want to prevent this build-up of algae. I was thinking for ease of use, i would use a uv clarifier.

so here's my question...will the uv clarifier keep the stringy green algae from building up in my pond and on my waterfall?

thanks!!
adam

additional info if useful: i currently have fantail goldfish and shubunkin with water hyasynth, water lettuce and water lilly. the pump is pumping water to a waterfall and fountain and through an external filter. right now the pond gets about 12 hours of sunlight per day, but i'm working on that.

Reaction score
Nope the uv won't kill the string algea. gonna need barley for that. I get some string algea in my filter and on the falls. I actually think it looks good on the rocks, but i do clean it off from time to time and the fish snack on it when it gets to the pond.

BBK

Reaction score
UV will prevent algae from growing. Once it has started you have to use barley or chemicals to kill it.

Reaction score
thanks for the replies...from these two posts i'm a little confused. right now my pond has no algea at all, the water is clear and the rocks are green. if i install the uv clarifier, will it prevent the string algae from growing on the rocks?

thanks.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
im not sure ...but i think you may always get some string algae growing on your waterfall i do on mine and i think others have mentioned they do !
i just scrub it off it gets too bad ... if your water is ok i wouldnt waste money buying a uv ... but im only learning so someone may have a better idea :goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
In order for UV lights to kill algae cells, the algae needs to pass thru the light, therefore, these lights only work on free-floating types of algae.

String algae will not be affected by UV lights. String algae needs to be removed manually (by hand or brush). Once string algae has started to grow, barley straw/extract will not kill it. Barley only helps to PREVENT new growth. Algaecides will kill it; however, I am not a fan of adding any chemical to a pond.

Remember, some string algae is not bad. It provides hiding and spawning places for fish, food, oxygen, and helps absorb excess nutrients to keep the water clear.

Reaction score
thanks again for the info. in that case, i'm thinking of adding barley instead of using a uv light. it seams that many people are having success with preventing string algae with it and since i have no algae right now, i think that may be the way to go.

thanks again

BBK

Reaction score
I think the first stage of string is free floating. If so then yes the UV will prevent it as long as all the particles pass through the UV.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
heres the scoop.. u.v lights are for green water algeas.. micro sized free floating algea. barley works but takes time to bio degrade and release humic acids, these humic acids, then slowly turn to hydrogen peroxide.. the peroxide is what kills alge. but barley treatments should be started as soon as you open your pond. pellets are quicker, but tint your water brown... if you use barley, use the extract, its the fastest and most thorough of the three. its already broke down and full of humic acids..they will create peroxide much faster. algecides are a NO NO. They kill alge in mass quantity and leave the dead alge to biodegrade and feed the next cycle of alge, thereby creating a chemically dependant pond to control alge.so if you absolutely feel you must use an algecide use a flocculant right after so it can clump it together so your filter can catch it. a good bio filter and plants will keep alge at bay. there is no doubt that a small u.v will help, i use a 9 watt tetrapond, but only early in season. i let the water green up(which is a natural cycle) turn on the u.v untill the water clears,run it a few extra days.. then turn it off, and forget about it, for the season..i put up with green water for 3 or 4 days, clean it up. and i dont get anymore. get or build a biofilter, one that seems to big for your pond even, and when its established.you wont be troubled by excessive alge..some alge is a good thing!! there is no such thing as too much filtration!!!!

Reaction score
thank you. i think i will hold off on a uv light for righ now. funny though, i called customer service for both tetra pond and sunterra. they both make the uv clarifiers and i got a resounding YES when asked if the clarifiers will kill string algae. sunterra's rep didn't even know there were different types of algae.

thanks again!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your best bet for minimizing algae is water lettuce or some other floating plant. It is better to be proactive than reactive. And, it doesn' cost anything to grow water lettuce.

Reaction score
Welcome,
Green Ways Barley Pond Strip provides natural algae control for ponds ... Crystal Clear Clarity Max removes organic build up, seeds biofilters and restores your garden ... Flora APM Barley Straw will not harm pond fish or plants. ... in natural barley acts as a pond clarifier, helping to keep your pond water clear.

Ask a Question