TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy What would you do with them during the winter?
I currently have that pond heated during the winter ( it is sorta a plant nursry right now ) and also have it covered. During the winter it is steady around 67 or so, not sure if that is warm enough.

I could of course bring them inside, or even better build a little indoor pond ( probably only around 30g though)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy Do a Google search about the type of turtle you are interested in. Find out how it normally spends its winters, and specifically how turtles in your geographic area spend their winters.

Always research an animal before you commit to keeping as a pet. It’s important to recreate their natural environment as closely as possible.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy Do a Google search about the type of turtle you are interested in. Find out how it normally spends its winters, and specifically how turtles in your geographic area spend their winters.

Always research an animal before you commit to keeping as a pet. It’s important to recreate their natural environment as closely as possible.
whoa, done some googling and such, the water temps they need are crazy! 75 to 78! that is seriously like a tropical aquarium. on that pond temps never get much above the 70s so again, sounds like they aren't for right now.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
If your are thinking a red eared slider, your temp would be fine for them. They will thermoregulate by basking if they need to get warmer. I have seen pictures of them basking with snow still on the ground. 75 - 78 is often mentioned as ideal for indoor turtles for various reasons, but as Mmathis says, depends on the type. I personally do not use any water heaters for temperate species but they do have their basking lamps and platform when indoors to use when wanted.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If your are thinking a red eared slider, your temp would be fine for them. They will thermoregulate by basking if they need to get warmer. I have seen pictures of them basking with snow still on the ground. 75 - 78 is often mentioned as ideal for indoor turtles for various reasons, but as Mmathis says, depends on the type. I personally do not use any water heaters for temperate species but they do have their basking lamps and platform when indoors to use when wanted.
interesting to know!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with @JRS the temp is fine. I forgot I had a young red ear slider, that was rescued from our local brackish water rivers, that I put in my main pond, it was in there for a few years wintered over in the pond during that time. Then not sure what happened to it probably a bullfrog or hawk got it, it was secretive so I could go a month or more without seeing it. So not sure what got the little guy. When I say winter too it usually includes the ponds being iced over, have seen the turtles on occasion moving around under the ice.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Agree, with @JRS the temp is fine. I forgot I had a young red ear slider, that was rescued from our local brackish water rivers, that I put in my main pond, it was in there for a few years wintered over in the pond during that time. Then not sure what happened to it probably a bullfrog or hawk got it, it was secretive so I could go a month or more without seeing it. So not sure what got the little guy. When I say winter too it usually includes the ponds being iced over, have seen the turtles on occasion moving around under the ice.
so would a red eared slider work, the pond will never ice over, but in this one there isnt any mud for them to hibernate in if thats what they need, also, feeding? what is best for them, I have read that vegtables like romaine lettuce and spinach are good, but any supplements?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
They don’t need mud or dirt on bottom to hibernate, some sort of cave/log etc. to hide in Or under to be comfortable. Feeding wise would feed them some type of pellet or stick food as a staple and mix in the greens as well. You can also toss in a cuttle bone for calcium supplement, they will gnaw at it.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
They don’t need mud or dirt on bottom to hibernate, some sort of cave/log etc. to hide in Or under to be comfortable. Feeding wise would feed them some type of pellet or stick food as a staple and mix in the greens as well. You can also toss in a cuttle bone for calcium supplement, they will gnaw at it.
interesting, I will be doing a large rock basking cave area for them so that would do, and feeding is fairly simple ( I am used to crickets mealworms and cockroaches for these types of animals )

since it is outside would a basking lamp be needed? this is mostly in shade, but gets a few hour of sunlight during the day.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Only a few hours a day of sun, would be on the low side for a basking turtle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy Thanks for this thread, it saved me a lot of time in research. I'm going to decide if turtles are for me, based on your experience, so I hope you post if you get them
smkissingturtle.gif

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy Thanks for this thread, it saved me a lot of time in research. I'm going to decide if turtles are for me, based on your experience, so I hope you post if you get them View attachment 134563
I will most definitely post if I do end up getting them :)

I am glad to hear this thread helped!

Ask a Question