Any turtle keepers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is 6’x8’ not including the future bog and the shallow bog/stream coming from the waterfall. I’m curious about keeping a smaller semi aquatic turtle. What would make a good border to keep them in but still look good? They need a digging area and a basking area. Any thoughts on adding turtles to the pond?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I keep Diamondback terrapins, I have a fence surrounding my pond about 3.5 feet tall it is out of welded wire, with poultry netting at ground level about a foot tall buried 6” in the ground. Don’t really notice the wire mesh, I also have wide weave netting over the top of the pond to keep predators out, a lesson learned the hard way ( lost some terrapins to a hawk).

You will have to protect them from predators ( raccoons , foxes, birds) because sooner or later one will get the turtle especially a smaller turtle. I like the terrapins as they are strictly carnivores and don’t destroy plants like the painted turtles and sliders do.

You should provide floating logs for basking areas, as they don’t like to bask on the shoreline because of predators.

Ask a Question