Turtle

Reaction score
Does anyone have a turtle in their pond? I was thinking of getting a mud turtle. A lady I met has had a turtle in her pond for 3 years. Any thoughts?
Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mud turtle, as in Musk? I had musk for a few years and really he didn't bother the fish or Lily's. I think most small turtles are fine, but as the larger species get 6-8" across they can become dangerous. I love turtles and and would love a tame one in the pond if I could be sure it wouldn't bother any fish. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have a red ear slider in my pond. This will be her second year here in the pond. Ive tried to bring in other turtles so she won't be bored, but she just chases them off. Ours is about 4" across and she is tame as can be. She always comes over to visit when we are down at the pond and she doesn't bother the fish. I put in about 50 rosey reds for her to munch on and she has eaten about 20 of them all summer. She would rather eat the pond plants. We have seen her all around the pond area, basking on the rocks around it, but she just doesn't ever try to leave. This will be her first year wintering in our pond. Last winter she stayed at a friend of mines pond because ours wasn't deep enough.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do aquatic turtles overwinter [brumate]? My boxies [non-aquatic] dig down into the earth or in leaf piles. Thought I read somewhere once where turtles, like RES's, dug down in mud. But they would still need air to breathe, so how do they survive in a lined pond.....? Or would you have to take them inside during winter? Larkin, educate me!

Reaction score
Oh, I understand that, we make sure we have a "gas release hole" in our pond throughout the winter. We have a homemade heater as well as a stock tank heater should be go below freezing. I am curious about the turtles though. ;)

:goldfish:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Andy is correct, their metabolism slows down and they will hibernate on the pond bottom. They would prefer a hiding area or mud to bury in. The turtles themselves don't really need the hole in the ice or additional oxygen added. But the fish do and it's surely not going to hurt the turtle either. They don't actually breath under water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The turtles will be ok during the winter. As long as they are native to your area they will winter ok. Most turtles just slow waay down during the winter. They are still awake but in a zombie state.

Yep, that's the difference in what turtles [reptiles] do, called "brumating," and what bears [mammals] do, called "hibernating."

Ask a Question