TURTLEMOMMY HAS A FEW MORE "FILTER" QUESTIONS :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hope you guys NEVER tire of my newbie questions!! :) ;)

SKIPPY-type vs DOC-type:

1. Except for the obvious, that one is tall & slender, and one is short & wide (like me! :) ), are they basically the same in how they work? I haven't studied them TOTALLY in depth yet (no pun intended) to notice any nuances in tubing placement, etc. The SKIPPY has more surface area than the DOC, which I guess would help with oxygenation, but other than that ....?

2. Also, I've decided that I want my bio tank to flow over as a waterfall or stream as the return. Can this be done easily with either filter? I've read several articles & posts about this and want to aim for the least complicated (not a lot of extra steps to reach the same goal) construction & set-up.

I am posting another question about "return" and waterfalls .... stay tuned!

Reaction score
What's a DOC filter? You mean like a protein skimmer?

Any filter can be made to overflow into a waterfall or stream. Just has to be the right elevation.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Check the DYI section, They both work on somewhat the same principle but are quite different in actual design. Basically bio-chambers for the most part. I'm thinking for the turtles you could get a neat effect and effective filter from a bog. Many additional uses with them for the turtles and the fish, take a look at Addy's pond, Run from a bog and very good water for a wildlife habitat. little more work to install, lots more maintance free as the plants use the waste and eleminate by products.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my bog filter, never get any readings except zero on my water tests. We have around 150 plus fish, tons of tads, frogs and snails living happily in the water.
Your turtles would probably love a bog.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Addy -- just visited & commented on your bog! Awesome! Am going to conduct more research. Pond will only be about 300-400 gal (and growing weekly ;) ) total. Since box turtles do most of their "business" in their water (they really do poop a lot!), am mostly wondering if a small bog would be able to keep up with the load...

Waterbug -- Doc filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe you need to invent turtle diapers mmathis.LOL .I guess ducks are just as bad .Is turtle poop a good fertilizer for flowers and plants .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am also wonder if you put one of those dirty water pumps in the bottom of you turtle pond and sucked the stuff out while you ran new water in the top with your hose ,if that would work .You could probably leave the pump in and just turn it on every day or so and just refill as your doing it .A dirty water pump picks up solids to 2 inches .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SISSY -- OK, what is a "dirty water pump?"

Maybe I should see if there is a market for turtle diapers! Need some good R & D :) Don't know about boxies, though. Tough one since they close up their plastron (hence the name BOX turtle). No way to keep a diaper from falling off -- oh, maybe use DUCT TAPE??

Reaction score
SISSY -- OK, what is a "dirty water pump?"

If I am correct, I think what Sissy means by a "dirty water pump" is a pump that can handle solids and sediments in the water without or with little detriment to the pump's impeller mechanism. Sometimes the larger, heavier duty ones are referred to as "trash pumps". They can suck just about anything up without damage or getting bound up. Hard-core pumps.

Am I identifying your idea of a dirty water pump correctly, Sissy?

Gordy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
See it and love it
turtle9.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats about it gordy and you can get them anywhere lowes home depot harbor freight and northern tool .I have one in the bottom of my filter tank and just plug it in and pump the gunk out faster and easier .I put the hose in and do my water change at the same time .But I do have well water ..I got a small one and just pump it into a bucket and then water my flowers with the gunk they love it .Got mine at harbor freight because it was clearanced out at there sidewalk sale .I may get a bigger one for the geese pond at the other house .

Reaction score
Sissy,

I bought a trash pump quite a few years ago at one of those travelling tool sales, I remember that it was a good price. I was going to use it for cycling my tank water. It had a two inch outlet and I reduced that down to one inch so that I could use some smaller pipe for plumbing my system. I left the 1" pipe outlet open and pointing straight up just to give it a test... Ooops! LOL! It shot water up out of the tank about five or six feet! It was too much for me to use for anything other than emptying my tank, but it sure works good for that.

Gordy

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Mmathis, The improved doc biofolter[ with the plastic chicken wire] would probably handle your proposed pond well. It could be hidden inside the waterfall and it would be easy to build.

Ask a Question