Two new fish (Watonai) ordered and on the way!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's awesome to hear :)

Glad they are getting used to you and all settled into their new home :cool:

They are both really pretty fish, sometimes it's hard to tell just how big they are from photos. Can't wait to see their babies :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, they arrived Friday -- a little larger fish than I was expecting, LOL! They are still adjusting to the QT [and our sudden drop in temp here!!]. I went out to give them a little food -- trying to hand feed them so they'll get used to me -- this morning and for the first time they responded to my hand in the tank rather than by hiding.

Sorry, but no pics yet. I tried to get some when they were still in the bags, but the bags weren't quite clear enough -- I guess a thicker plastic, maybe. Then, of course, after they were in the QT, they went into hiding.

They are beautiful fish. They carry their flowy tails so nice!

When I got mine he was so much larger than I expect too! He is bigger than my old ones in the pond lol.

The other day I had to rescue my female watonai from being torn apart (she has wound on her head and her tail all torn apart) I put her in salt bath and put her in the tank with my Raingarden's watonai. They are so different I would've thought they are different kind of fish!!

The female watonai was from Koi to the World (ebay) and has sleek long body. I got her last year. Her tail split in the middle.
The male watonai was from Raingarden and he's wide, and has big belly. His tail didnt split in two though, they are connected.

TM, what do you know about their characteristic? please do share!!

Anya

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Time for an update at 2-1/2 weeks into quarantine!

The big girls are doing great and are adjusting to their temp. home. The smaller one is still the most bold/friendly, whatever you want to call it in fish parlance. She comes when I show up and isn't at all afraid to eat in front of me. Have had my hand in the water and she shows curiosity.

The larger one is still timid, but does come out, swim around and will eat in front of me, which is an improvement. She was starting to do that last time I posted, but now she doesn't act quite as desperate to grab the food and go back to her hiding place. So, she's coming along.

No obvious signs of illness, but will scrape them before release in the pond. Not sure if I'll go 4 weeks or maybe add on a little more time. I might go longer just to give the more timid girl a chance to warm up to me.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Nepen I didn't mean to ignore your previous post...... Guess I didn't see it until just now. Sorry!

I've only been able to find a little bit of information regarding correct conformation for Wakin & Watonai, and most of it relates to Wakin. There is some info on the Raingarden site, and there was one other site that had some good info -- if I can find it again, I'll post a link.
http://www.exoticgoldfish.net/breeds-wakin.html and http://www.qldaf.com/forums/goldfish-koi-46/watonai-goldfish-87164/

For the Watonai, basically, you look to the conformation of a comet, but add the double tail (and I assume with the tail, you'd look to the conformation for a "fantail" type tail...?). From what I gather, they are supposed to have a torpedo-shaped body. Now, one place called that "fat," but to me, a torpedo is long & slender, so go figure. The tail is supposed to be split, and is supposed to be angled downward and held out horizontally. The width (side-to-side) of the tail should be equal to the length of the body. Since Watonai are a cross between Wakin and Ryunkin, I would expect the body shape to be a little more compact, but again, there's not a lot out there, and you now know what I know (n)

Of the Watonai I currently have, these 2 new ones look true, and maybe 2 of my other ones look true. Then I have 1 or 2 that are pretty fish [nice colors, etc.], but their tails look more like streamers flowing behind them [reminds me of a kite without the supports, LOL]. No problems, though, as all of these guys are my pets and I'm not breeding or anything.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another update:

Yea! The big girl is starting to "come out" spontaneously! Now, when I show up at the QT, she will swim toward me -- but then, it's like she's thinking, "Oh no, I can't let her know that I care...." and she'll dart away. Silly fish!

She will swim around and take a few bites of food, but acts like she's always "on guard."

But I'm seeing more of her these days, and she may always be a timid fish, but at least this is progress!

The other girl is quite comfortable with the whole fish & human connection thing. She'll almost eat out of my fingers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks TM! I've been moving and didnt get to come here until today. thanks for the explanation :)
I'll have to look at my fish again. My fish tank and all my fish are still at the old house. I'll try to move them this weekend!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks TM! I've been moving and didnt get to come here until today. thanks for the explanation :)
I'll have to look at my fish again. My fish tank and all my fish are still at the old house. I'll try to move them this weekend!
Hope the move is going smoothly and that the fish transition OK.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ANOTHER UPDATE!

The Watonai had 6 weeks in QT, and they became pond fish a few days ago! They adapted right away -- never acted frightened or skittish -- swam around, checking the surroundings, eating....!

Only problem encountered was that one of the other fish [half her size] was shadowing the biggest girl constantly. This went on for a day and a half and I was ready to take the guy out [but couldn't catch him]. I was worried that this "spawning" behavior was going to add extra stress on the new Watonai. But by the next day, everyone left everyone else alone.

Once they were in the pond, I realized, that while they are the largest fish in the pond, they aren't that much larger than a couple I already had. They are doing well, so far. You would never know they were "the new kids on the block." (y)

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
ANOTHER UPDATE!

The Watonai had 6 weeks in QT, and they became pond fish a few days ago! They adapted right away -- never acted frightened or skittish -- swam around, checking the surroundings, eating....!

Only problem encountered was that one of the other fish [half her size] was shadowing the biggest girl constantly. This went on for a day and a half and I was ready to take the guy out [but couldn't catch him]. I was worried that this "spawning" behavior was going to add extra stress on the new Watonai. But by the next day, everyone left everyone else alone.

Once they were in the pond, I realized, that while they are the largest fish in the pond, they aren't that much larger than a couple I already had. They are doing well, so far. You would never know they were "the new kids on the block." (y)

View attachment 81005
Always a very good sign that Maggie:happy: new fish up and eating straight away like that our latyest koi was exactly the same straight at the food the very next day .
Six weeks QT in this case though two weeks shorter than we would do ouselves was ample time to make sure your newbies were pond ready or not.
I can understand your concerns about putting too much untowards pressure on the new girl but I think that they only ever spawn when they are ready and that conditions in the pond are just right .
I doubt you'll have any worries with these and they should all settle nicely .
Are you going to show this year for the first time ?

Dave

Ask a Question