Types of fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Alrighty so basically I'm pretty limited to the types of fish I can have in my koi pond because of winters here. I live in central MA so yeah anything that can't survive being under a foot+ of ice... will simply die

Right now I have mosquito fish, assorted types of koi, and goldfish

I'm curious as to any other types of fish I may be able to have?

I've considered wakin / sarassas but am looking something that looks different than the goldfish/koi.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Someone else just joined here not too long ago and was going to put some kinds of fish natural to Maine in their pond as they said they could not have koi. Do they actually sell koi there or do you have to send away over the internet for them? Here is a link to Jerry's posts about koi in Maine and using other fish instead: http://www.gardenpon...__fromsearch__1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Someone else just joined here not too long ago and was going to put some kinds of fish natural to Maine in their pond as they said they could not have koi. Do they actually sell koi there or do you have to send away over the internet for them? Here is a link to Jerry's posts about koi in Maine and using other fish instead: http://www.gardenpon...__fromsearch__1

Guess this doesn't matter now since I'm not in Miane but I can buy koi all over here, pets stores, pond stores, etc.

I suppose I could have "local natural fish" to my area as that thread talks about but that would consist off mostly aggressive eaters like bass or perch and other types that I could actually get, which would most likely result in dead koi unfortunately haha.

Reaction score
Mosquitofish can survive near freezing water, but many people report deaths. MA is north of their natural range (as is ME :lol: ). Flathead minnow is more cold tolerant.

There are lots of fish that can survive near freezing water...that is not the same thing as saying they will survive near freezing water. Cold is only one factor. Water quality is a big factor. Some people also try and keep the ice off the pond in a way that stirs the water column which can drive down water temp. WIth ice on the pond the water at the bottom of a 3'+ deep pond will be 39F while stirring the water can produce a uniform column of water down to 33F. So even Koi and Goldifsh don't always survive winters. Many factors contribute to deaths.

Reaction score
39 degrees at 3 feet? That's amazing, I've been wondering how warm the water would be down there, I never would have guess it could get warmer than 34 or 35 degrees.

I'm in Indiana and I've just stuck with the koi and goldfish, they're the prettiest most interesting fish that can survive our winters. I don't really feel the need to add a huge variety of fish species, as the carp all have their own unique look already

For example mosquito fish, why would you want these? They're butt ugly, and mosquitos could never grow in a koi pond anyway. If your filters aren't getting rid of them the koi will eat them.

Bitterlings as well, not a good looking fish compared to koi and they cost more than baby koi most of the places I've seen them for sale.

if you've got koi I'd just just enjoy them, if you want variety I guess get online and pick out something amazing from a dealer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mosquitofish can survive near freezing water, but many people report deaths. MA is north of their natural range (as is ME :lol: ). Flathead minnow is more cold tolerant.

There are lots of fish that can survive near freezing water...that is not the same thing as saying they will survive near freezing water. Cold is only one factor. Water quality is a big factor. Some people also try and keep the ice off the pond in a way that stirs the water column which can drive down water temp. WIth ice on the pond the water at the bottom of a 3'+ deep pond will be 39F while stirring the water can produce a uniform column of water down to 33F. So even Koi and Goldifsh don't always survive winters. Many factors contribute to deaths.
True true, I will probably start using a heater for the winter on my new pond that I'm constructing (old one is over 200ft from any power haha) to further prevent any deaths.

39 degrees at 3 feet? That's amazing, I've been wondering how warm the water would be down there, I never would have guess it could get warmer than 34 or 35 degrees.

I'm in Indiana and I've just stuck with the koi and goldfish, they're the prettiest most interesting fish that can survive our winters. I don't really feel the need to add a huge variety of fish species, as the carp all have their own unique look already

For example mosquito fish, why would you want these? They're butt ugly, and mosquitos could never grow in a koi pond anyway. If your filters aren't getting rid of them the koi will eat them.

Bitterlings as well, not a good looking fish compared to koi and they cost more than baby koi most of the places I've seen them for sale.

if you've got koi I'd just just enjoy them, if you want variety I guess get online and pick out something amazing from a dealer.

I actually like the mosquito fish, they aren't as "pretty" as koi but I like the little school they swim in and it's enjoyable to watch them. As far as their usefulness I don't have my pond filtering 24/7 or even close to it since it's solar powered. If it's a cloudy/rainy week the pumps may only run for a couple hours entirely until it's sunny again, in a week of rain they may not pump for that entire week, so it is very possible that the mosquito fish do do their job, I haven't really taken a close look to be honest but either way I'm happy with them (only cost $10 for 15 of them anyways!)

Reaction score
34F water is lighter than 39F water so it rises above. 39F water is heaviest so it settles at the bottom and will stay there unless someone adds a pump. For ponds, because they're so shallow, they need an ice cap for this to happen. Otherwise wind is enough to mix the water.

For example mosquito fish, why would you want these? They're butt ugly,
Says you. Many Koi owners consider Goldfish butt ugly...and Butterfly Koi...butt ugly abominations that shouldn't be allowed on the Earth. Does that make it true?

I think Mosquitofish are very impressive looking and entertaining. I had some in a 35 gal pond and would lay on the ground with my nose the water. I'd dump in some mosquito larva and watch the action. Young fish were hardly any longer than the larva and they would attack the larva and they'd wrestle in a huge battle. Adult fish when they got a chunk of food they couldn't swallow the other fish would try to take it and the one with the food would go to the surface and flick itself so it traveled a long ways away through the air to get away and dine in peace.

Maybe not as impressive as a bunch of cow Koi gulping at the surface hoping a piece of food might happen to fall into their mouth because they have no way to even see what they're eating, but I enjoyed the show. :p

...and mosquitos could never grow in a koi pond anyway. If your filters aren't getting rid of them the koi will eat them.
24" Koi eating mosquito larva? I don't think so.

Only works if they are you. Lots of different people in the world.

Ask a Question