• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • is your filtration adequate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Do you use u.v clarifier(s) or sterilizer(s) for alge control? this debate is an eternal one and is cause for many strong opinions. i would love to know,as would others here. how many of us ,on this forum use them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i only use mine for about a week or so in the early season ..if the water starts going green, turn it on.. let it clear the water and let it run a few extra days. i then clean it, pack it up, and put it away for the season. i only use it for a short time and its only a 9 watt but for my purposes it serves me well and cost is minimal as it only draws 9.75 watts. basically i just shorten a natural cycle. in the 2 seasons ive used it , its been run less than 20 or 25 days total. if it continues to work as well it will outlast me,without a bulb replacement even.

Reaction score
i would not be without one. Works splendidly and have never had any type of algae or green water issues. I change the bulb every spring when I open the pond, and I leave it on all the time. I've heard too many poeple comment that turning it on and off shortens the lifespan of thebulb, so I just leave it on. Mine is 20 watts and sits inside my pressure filter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a bulb is good for 11 months and starts loosing effectiveness after 8. continuous on and offs will shorten the life of any bulb.. i turn it on once and off once a year about 7 to 10 days apart and you can read the paper thru my water. and i get over 10 hours of sun eveyday all summer

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I run it for 7 to 10 days a year, thats it ... ONCE ON .. THEN OFF... it will last longer than i will at this rate...

Reaction score
I use one. I don't believe the manufactures claims of replacing the bulb every year. It's another way to get money from me. Florescent lights last a very long time and the output drop is very slow and gradual and I believe the wavelength has more to do with killing algae than the small drop in light intensity.

Reaction score
Flourescent? We're gabbing about UV.

It is widely recognized that if you have your UV turned on continually that the bulb will not be as effective in the second year, so therefore you just change it every year. I've tried to get by using one in a second year, and I noticed it was not as effective. I just consider it one of my spring time routines. But, ouch, those bulbs ARE darned expensive!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
UVC light is a very small band of light it kills alge, viruses and microscopic parasitc organisms by splitting DNA strands and thereby eliminating their ability to reproduce..it is of flourecent technology but of a very concentrated wavelength, with alge the chloraphyl is also "bleached" out so when it leaves the u.v the alge is still alive but clear and incapable of reproduction.

Reaction score
So, are we talking about the same type of bulb or is this of a different variety? Just wanna make sure I'm understanding this clearly...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
same type of bulb technology... but different wavelengths or light spectrums... they both "burn" or actually electrically charge gases.. but different combinations.

Reaction score
light can be created many ways. Florecent, metal halide, mercuy vapour, CF, LED etc... Aquarium bulbs are coated on the inside to produce wavelengths of light in various wavelengths. plants bulbs are coated to produce light in 400nm and 700nm wavelengths.

UVC is nothing special it's just light in the 280 nm–100 nm range. The UV bulbs are turned to product higher concentration of light in this range. But the technology is florecent to produce the light. Same technology in aquarium lights except in a different wavelength (human eye can see 550 nm light).

Don't believe the manufactures claims. bulbs will degrade slowly overtime but they don't stop working or producing light.

Ask a Question