(Un)Friendly Goldfish???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My 9 little goldfish never come out of hiding. When I first put them in the pond they just swam around and would come up when I fed them. Then I added the water hyacinth and one little lily and now they are always under those plants and won't even come to eat the fish flakes. I think they are eating off the WH, although not enough to hurt the plant any, it's roots are 3 times as big as when I bought it. I fed them for a couple of days after the plants, and they never came up to eat. So, I haven't been feeding the fish food, since I didn't want it to accumulate and make my water worse (it's still cycling, i guess) After some of you suggested that I stopped feeding them. They are definitely growing already too. They've been in there about a week and I can already tell a big difference visually in their size. Anyway, I'm hoping they eventually will come to the surface when they see me. So how do I "train" them without gunking up my pond!?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
This time of the year it seems that your seeing the same as other pond keepers, the fish seem to be hiding under plants and in the shady areas. this is probablty due to the heat and the high UV rays. Your probably doing the best thing you can do right now, let the pond balance, don't over feed and they will be back up soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Patience jen, mine would eat or come out for a long time, now they swarm if they see me come near the deep end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It has been super hot here this week. Upper 90's with heat index around 110. We are supposed to get a break from this heat next week. But, it is also supposed to rain this weekend, and if it does then I won't be able to see the little guys either. Seems like whenever it rains, it really stirs up the pond a lot. We had just a brief shower on Monday (5 minutes) and I am just starting to be able to see the bottom again. So maybe if it makes beack to the low 80's like they're saying the fish will come out of hiding?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One more ? Tomorrow is our cookout and the water is still brownish. I am going to do a water change so that it looks a little better, like some of you suggested. How much should I change to avoid hurting the fish, plants, or recreating an algae bloom when the water warms up??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can walk out my front door and no matter how hot the fish know I'm coming and head up with there months open ,darn pigs .It takes time and once they get used to you and associate food with your voice they will high tail it for you

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JenH said:
One more ? Tomorrow is our cookout and the water is still brownish. I am going to do a water change so that it looks a little better, like some of you suggested. How much should I change to avoid hurting the fish, plants, or recreating an algae bloom when the water warms up??
20% should be fine, if possible try and get as much water from the bottom of the pond that has settlement. the more of that bottom muck you can remove the better, just leave the sides alone. I wouldn't do anymore than 25% at a time while the pond is still new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They are fast little learners aren't they!!! This afternoon was cooler and overcast all day. I noticed the fish weren't hiding as much so I went over by the pond and put my hand in (no food) A couple curious guys came over to me so I went and got their food, after just a couple little pinches they were all over my hands! I went out 2 more times today and by the last time they all came over to the edge when I started talking!! I'm so excited! so much easier to train these guys then our dogs!! Wow!

Attachments

• WP_000546.jpg
    WP_000546.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 309
  • WP_000544.jpg
    WP_000544.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 259
  • WP_000541.jpg
    WP_000541.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 307
  • WP_000540.jpg
    WP_000540.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 299
  • WP_000539.jpg
    WP_000539.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 271

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine can hear the front door just wait the little moochers will be up and begging yet LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine come out hot or not they are pigs .They hear me they think food ,

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine swarm when I walk up to the edge of the pond. I still feed them only in the deep end, just in case a heron comes by to visit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my goodness!!! I just went outside to check on them and one of them was on the ground beside the pond!! He didn't look like he was still alive but I put him back in the water anyway, and he finally started moving around. He seems to be ok, just moving much more slowly! Why would he jump out? They've been in there for 2 weeks now! I also noticed something jump in the water from about where the fish was laying. Finally saw a huge frog in the water. Would the frog try to get the fish out of the water? Or could the fish have just gotten spooked when the frog got in and jump out?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The frog may have spooked the fish, if it hit the water hard enough.

Ask a Question