Under the microscope.....what are some things that you might see that are normal flora / fauna?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wanted to look at some algae -- 2 different kind. One was the "floating algae" and one was "string algae." I wish I had a camera attachment for my microscope so I could hook it up to the iPad. I've looked at pond water before, but this time saw things I've never seen. For one thing, "string algae" looks spectacular close-up! Then there were the little balls that looked 3-dimensional like mines. Very pretty.

I saw 2 or 3 different critters, but no idea what they were. They seemed interested in the algae and had "green" insides, so I can only assume they were algae-eaters. One looked like a pickle with a short toothpick stuck in one end. Watching it move, it almost looked like it was rolling over as it moved. Another one [larger than the pickle] looked like Jabba the Hutt! I don't recall what the last one looked like. Sometimes I realized I was looking at my floaters instead of a "bug," so.....

I sure hope these are normal & OK things ["bugs"] to find in a pond, and not parasites! I know there are resident "bugs," but no idea what they would look like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I didn't know you had a microscope, TM (y)
Have a look at the algae that you were trying to identify on a different thread vs some pictures available online of cyanobacteria.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't know you had a microscope, TM (y)
Have a look at the algae that you were trying to identify on a different thread vs some pictures available online of cyanobacteria.
?

You, Milady, have only had a small glimpse of the living wonders in your pond.
Yes, it's amazing! But I'm still learning and one part of that is learning what is normal and what is pathogenic.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MitchM Duh! Sorry! For some reason I wasn't reading your comment right and it didn't make sense!

I wish I had thought about doing that then, but that algae (or whatever) is long-gone. But now that I have "microscope" plugged into my brain.....next time anything unusual like that pops up I will take a sample and look at it. Since I can't take pictures, this will be good practice to hone my drawing skills, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have one called the Observers book of pond life but its sadly geared for UK ponds Maggie , I'm glad your experimenting with the things your microscope can do it goes to help train the eye :happy:.
Arnt you glad you got it after my threads about microscopes being an important and integral part of our hobby, Mitch I think @bettasangoldfish got one at around the same time .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
?

Yes, it's amazing! But I'm still learning and one part of that is learning what is normal and what is pathogenic.

Are these some of the things your seeing Maggie or similar too ? :)
Cynobacteria.jpg

Ask a Question