Crucian Carp

crucian-carp-dorsals.jpg

And maybe a hybrid (or two).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i'm having trouble seeing differences in dorsal fin shape. not that it isn't there.
just tough for me to see with the movement in water. i imagine it's reasonable to assume
the two original fish are similar. i imagine they could be a hybrid themselves.
fortunate to have gotten a male and female. they could potentially mate with the
gold fish at some point...is this correct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
at 1st glance i noticed this difference , i drew line on it if others see it too , the pelvic and pectoral fins of black one is short and rounded while orange white ones have sharper longer , but i wud not say that its conclusive since i have seen so many varieties from same type of goldfish in my own pond , some will have slimmer body some have short rounded fins some longer even body type colour , mouth/face , size , habits all different so it can b that the goldfish can interbreed easily and its in genes . but yes the wild ones u have must b some thing more raw form of goldfish then we see .

dsadsadasdsa.png
gfdgdfgdfhthtr.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
thanks for the outline ousman...lol. i really appreciate your effort. neat stuff. what an unexpected, but interesting thing to happen. i wish it had not happened due to my actions of taking them from the wild unknowingly. this is not something i would do. the purpose of the pond was to give the goldfish a more natural environment, not give other fish a less natural one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just got rid of one of the wild colored babies yesterday and a baby shubunkin. Its a none stop battle to get the fish to quit producing. Especially comets and shubunkins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
thanks for the outline ousman...lol. i really appreciate your effort. neat stuff. what an unexpected, but interesting thing to happen. i wish it had not happened due to my actions of taking them from the wild unknowingly. this is not something i would do. the purpose of the pond was to give the goldfish a more natural environment, not give other fish a less natural one.
is it legal to place them back to that lake? if they are breeding with ur comets then they can corrupt there genes and after some time all wil become black , i wud have seprated them if i can

i have long fins shubunkens and they have grey fry too but some turn red after year or so and some may remain grey , i only have one grey adult that remained grey and is alive since 4 years but its refined , it has very long tail , problem with these grey goldfishes is that they are almost invisible in pond i cant even see 8inch fis if its under my nose lol so theres no point keeping them .

iv noticed grey ones have different swimming style and body development and are more shy and faster , altho they are shubunkens but there wild genes have some effect on there behaviour i think

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have had dozens of black goldfish over the years. Most of them turn orange or some interesting color within a few years. Some of my most interesting colored goldfish started out black.

Ask a Question