UPDATE on Pond cycle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Uh... I would think the oils from your body and any residue from shampoos, etc. would be bad for the fish. In a real pond its not a big deal, but here anything you put in the pond is going to stay in the pond. Don't swim with your fish, its bad for the water. If you wanted a swimming pool, you should have built one of those instead.

Do your fish have any place to hide? If your pond is still completely bare, then yes your fish are always going to be scared all the time. Give them a safe place, and give them time to learn that you bring the food, and eventually they will come out for you.

There's usually only a smell when things are really bad. Since your pond is actively cycling, its not surprising that the smell went away.

Reaction score
Uh... I would think the oils from your body and any residue from shampoos, etc. would be bad for the fish. In a real pond its not a big deal, but here anything you put in the pond is going to stay in the pond. Don't swim with your fish, its bad for the water. If you wanted a swimming pool, you should have built one of those instead.

Do your fish have any place to hide? If your pond is still completely bare, then yes your fish are always going to be scared all the time. Give them a safe place, and give them time to learn that you bring the food, and eventually they will come out for you.

There's usually only a smell when things are really bad. Since your pond is actively cycling, its not surprising that the smell went away.
No no no, I didn't go swimming. I'm saying they been swimming together not me. I've went in once ( early ) to catch one of the Injured koi to apply ointment on his wound. But that's it,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Usually the fish are idle until I come out and peak over.
And go crazy, I see flashing everyday. I've been out there for alittle swimming together but waiting to see some flash. I tried smelling real hard the smell isn't there anymore like before

So, is this actually "flashing" that you are witnessing, or just fish that are excited that you may be about to feed them? There is a difference.

Reaction score
So, is this actually "flashing" that you are witnessing, or just fish that are excited that you may be about to feed them? There is a difference.
I see them flash.. They get excited when seeing me but when I watch they do flash on the liner.. None seem to be stressed.. All fish from one dealer besides my first 4? Never had this flash until new pond, upon research it could be the ammonia bothering them.

Reaction score
I would like to catch the ones that do flash and put them in ither pond which will be my quarantine but it's impossible! They are so quick being so small.

Reaction score
Hopefully I am not eating my own words.. Have not seen a single one flash today.. I kept my eyes on the one that does it the most!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
If your ammonia had gotten to 2 or 3, then yes I would have said the flashing was related. But you only got to 0.5, which probably did nothing more than leave a foul taste in their mouths. The flashing you are seeing is probably because they're in a new home and not sure what to do.

Reaction score
If your ammonia had gotten to 2 or 3, then yes I would have said the flashing was related. But you only got to 0.5, which probably did nothing more than leave a foul taste in their mouths. The flashing you are seeing is probably because they're in a new home and not sure what to do.

Wow thanks for the help! I feel better. It hasn't ever reach that point yet.. Hope it never do!
Just checked on them they are chasing each other and swimming!

Reaction score
Here are the more up to date pictures:

koi-books_small-jpg.73774

Cornerstone-bookshop-1024x685.jpg

and

koi-liniage-chart-copy-jpg.73775

8474233.jpg
You always make the funnies!!!! It's great when things seem tense and you throw out a picture to make us laugh!!

Reaction score
No, Calvin was so persistent with his posts, and now nothing for several days....
Hi! Haha I've tried being more RELAXED about it now and just ease my stress. It's still the same.. No dramatic changes. Water cleared up with alittle of ill say bloom. I've trying to thin out the pond. I caught maybe 6-8 of the koi to seperate. 10 left! The small ones are so HARD.

Ask a Question