UPDATE on Pond cycle

Reaction score
Give it chance Calvin Rome wasnt made in a day you know "what is it about youngsters of today no patience I think :LOL:
I told you the ammonia would spike and the nitrite should go anytime soon my friend , that is unless your not listemning to whats being said and doing something your not supposed to do , if you are then sorry that'd be your own fault not anyone elses.
Are you feeding them , if so how many times daily we didnt feed ours their full quota even after they were cycled for at least two weeks

Dave

Haha I'm an impatient fella haha.
First time feeding was yesterday, but it was very little. Devoured it in 10 seconds. Today half a spoon was trying to catch the ones that were flashing to put in the mini pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Calvin... a 10" koi is not nearly grown. Koi can get up to 3 feet long and live a hundred years or more. Your pond is essentially the same size as mine, and you'll have room for all those koi for several years, but eventually you will have to get rid of some or build a larger pond.

As for filtration... if you are on a budget why would you *buy* a filter? As mentioned, the DIY forums has plenty of info on building filters, and of course the bog will also provide filtration if you plant it heavily. My pond is primarily filtered by two 55-gallon barrel filters I built, however the border of the pond is completely covered in plants, plus I have a gravel bed in the stream. Creating your own filtration will work better than any of those high-priced units, plus then you know where to find replacement parts cheaply. If you want to keep a lot of fish in a small space, you have to diversify your filtration system. Don't rely on any one single type, and don't expect chemicals to make all of your problems go away. There should be no salt in the pond itself. Don't bother with algae killers or pH adjusters or any of that other crap. Your pond will find its own balance, and if you did your filtration properly, that balance will match the fish load. If not, fish will die.

If your ammonia levels had hit 5.0, your fish would all be dead. Considering how many fish you added, I was expecting you to hit around 1.0, so you got pretty lucky by only hitting 0.5. Since your nitrates are climbing, it is likely that you simply missed the nitrite spike. From my experience with new aquariums, it can be fast, so unless you check your water every few hours, you can miss it. Now you just have to wait for the nitrates to start dropping, however keep watching ammonia and nitrites, because with your large fish load you may get a rebound and see another cycle start. As mentioned above, the ammonia cycle is the only part dangerous to your fish, so it is vital to keep a close eye on it until the pond stabilizes.

I asked before, but could you please provide more info like where you are located and perhaps some pictures showing your filtration and what kind of plants you have in the pond?
The largest koi can reach up to 36" you have alott to learn Learn Calvin its not a matter of building a pond and stocking it with koi , theres alott more to learn about keeping them alive such as diseases bacterialogical infections virus's etc
"Try to run before you can walk then you will end up a has been fish keeper with no koi ", you have everything to learn as of yet you know very little.
You have all the tools to do your best on this forum all you need do is look, listen and learn from those who like ourselves have been doing this since well before you were a twinkle in your daddys eye .
Our last large post to you said as much, now Shdwdrgn is telling you just how lucky you were to dodge a bullet , to tell you the truth when we learned you had not 9 but 17 fish in your setup our first thoughts were to wash our hands of you as you were untruthful to everyone but this is about getting you out of a mess of your own making "fish intact" .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
The largest koi can reach up to 36" you have alott to learn Learn Calvin its not a matter of building a pond and stocking it with koi , theres alott more to learn about keeping them alive such as diseases bacterialogical infections virus's etc
"Try to run before you can walk then you will end up a has been fish keeper with no koi ", you have everything to learn as of yet you know very little.
You have all the tools to do your best on this forum all you need do is look, listen and learn from those who like ourselves have been doing this since well before you were a twinkle in your daddys eye .
Our last large post to you said as much, now Shdwdrgn is telling you just how lucky you were to dodge a bullet , to tell you the truth when we learned you had not 9 but 17 fish in your setup our first thoughts were to wash our hands of you as you were untruthful to everyone but this is about getting you out of a mess of your own making "fish intact" .

Dave
Who said I was being untruthful ?
If you read my original post, it says I have 9 2-3 inch koi in my smaller pond, I then proceeded to get 6 more. Then got 2 free. How did I LIE?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Who said I was being untruthful ?
If you read my original post, it says I have 9 2-3 inch koi in my smaller pond, I then proceeded to get 6 more. Then got 2 free. How did I LIE?

I think that many of us thought you had 9 koi in the one pond and the 6 others in the smaller pond and were more than shocked when you said 17 thats where the confusion is coming from (and the thought of you being untruthful).....
We would never stock our smaller pond to 17 koi "even though its designed to take many more Calvin", did you know that by the ratio of koi that koiphen seems to work on its 1,000 for the first large koi then for each koi there after its one koi per hundered gallons so that would mean you loosing a total of nine of your koi .
So let get on with completing the cycling with all 17 fish intact, then loose a few by selling them on, then you can sit down and seriously think about learning how to be a fish keeper .
For us its about getting you through this mess of your own making and getting you pond safely cycled ..
What is the nitrite reading on your pond now from yesterday ? is the ammonia now stable ?
Sit down and learn about the hobby before you make mistakes like your initial one and in years to come perhaps youcan help other's by telling them of your mistakes ,
I admit when we first started that I was the death of goldfish until Val bought me my first fish health book from then on in we never looked back that was 27 years ago

Dave

Reaction score
I think that many of us thought you had 9 koi in the one pond and the 6 others in the smaller pond and were more than shocked when you said 17 thats where the confusion is coming from (and the thought of you being untruthful).....
We would never stock our smaller pond to 17 koi "even though its designed to take many more Calvin", did you know that by the ratio of koi that koiphen seems to work on its 1,000 for the first large koi then for each koi there after its one koi per hundered gallons so that would mean you loosing a total of nine of your koi .
So let get on with completing the cycling with all 17 fish intact, then loose a few by selling them on, then you can sit down and seriously think about learning how to be a fish keeper .
For us its about getting you through this mess of your own making and getting you pond safely cycled ..
What is the nitrite reading on your pond now from yesterday ? is the ammonia now stable ?
Sit down and learn about the hobby before you make mistakes like your initial one and in years to come perhaps youcan help other's by telling them of your mistakes ,
I admit when we first started that I was the death of goldfish until Val bought me my first fish health book from then on in we never looked back that was 27 years ago

Dave
I do not believe my pond has spiked... I can not tell if that nitrate is 0 or not.. It's a darker yellow meaning 1.0-4.0.. Right? Or am I wrong

Ammonia I 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate unknown.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Calvin, have you ever considered working with bonsai trees? You make a few snips, wait a year for it to grow out, make a few more snips... It is a very slow process, and some trees have been passed down through multiple generations.

A pond isn't quite as bad, but it is still a slow process. When I add new plants, I don't expect to see the results until the next year. When I buy a new fish, I will watch them over several years to see how they grow, how their colors change, to see if they develop into a fish I really like. About the only thing that happens fast in a pond is cleaning out the fallen leaves, and the nightmare that happens when something goes wrong with your plumbing and you suddenly find all of your water out on the ground.

Instead of worrying so much about when each phase of the pond cycle will complete, spend your time looking over your setup. See if there are any pipes that might be dangerously loose. Imagine what might happen for each pipe if it came loose, and think about ways you might improve your setup to make it less likely that something bad can happen. For example, making sure your pumps are not sitting on the bottom of your pond, but are raised up so that ALL of the water can't be pumped out if something goes wrong. Is there any way your fish could become trapped by the pumps? How are you going to finish the edges of your liner? Do you want to add any decorative rocks or caves for the fish (and if so, consider how you will clean them when needed)? What about reading up on DIY filters -- learning how to make your own and seeing if you can find resources such as barrels (making sure you get ones that are rated food-safe so you don't put anything nasty into your pond). A pond is more than just a container of water with some fish in it. There's plenty of other things to learn about, and you have a lot of time now. Find out how to make a home that your fish really feel comfortable in, and you will have them for many many years.

And keep in mind what I said before... the nitrite and nitrate cycles can happen fast or slow. You may have missed them completely, or your pond may be doing a slow cycle which never causes a noticeable spike. There are so many variable that nobody can tell you exactly what is going to happen, or how soon it will happen. But if you think its hard waiting now, wait until you get to the pea-soup cycle of free algae which can take more than a month to clear up, and will go on even longer if you try treating it with algae killers...

Oh, something else came to mind. What does your pond smell like? That's important to pay attention to over time. If you have ever seen a large pool of water that doesn't move, you know what stagnant water smells like. And you may have already smelled something when the ammonia was spiking. When everything is good in your pond, you shouldn't smell anything except fresh water, but over time things will change and a smell may be your first sign that something is wrong. This is one of the things you need to learn about your pond that will help you keep it running smoothly through the years.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We
Calvin, have you ever considered working with bonsai trees? You make a few snips, wait a year for it to grow out, make a few more snips... It is a very slow process, and some trees have been passed down through multiple generations.

A pond isn't quite as bad, but it is still a slow process. When I add new plants, I don't expect to see the results until the next year. When I buy a new fish, I will watch them over several years to see how they grow, how their colors change, to see if they develop into a fish I really like. About the only thing that happens fast in a pond is cleaning out the fallen leaves, and the nightmare that happens when something goes wrong with your plumbing and you suddenly find all of your water out on the ground.

Instead of worrying so much about when each phase of the pond cycle will complete, spend your time looking over your setup. See if there are any pipes that might be dangerously loose. Imagine what might happen for each pipe if it came loose, and think about ways you might improve your setup to make it less likely that something bad can happen. For example, making sure your pumps are not sitting on the bottom of your pond, but are raised up so that ALL of the water can't be pumped out if something goes wrong. Is there any way your fish could become trapped by the pumps? How are you going to finish the edges of your liner? Do you want to add any decorative rocks or caves for the fish (and if so, consider how you will clean them when needed)? What about reading up on DIY filters -- learning how to make your own and seeing if you can find resources such as barrels (making sure you get ones that are rated food-safe so you don't put anything nasty into your pond). A pond is more than just a container of water with some fish in it. There's plenty of other things to learn about, and you have a lot of time now. Find out how to make a home that your fish really feel comfortable in, and you will have them for many many years.

And keep in mind what I said before... the nitrite and nitrate cycles can happen fast or slow. You may have missed them completely, or your pond may be doing a slow cycle which never causes a noticeable spike. There are so many variable that nobody can tell you exactly what is going to happen, or how soon it will happen. But if you think its hard waiting now, wait until you get to the pea-soup cycle of free algae which can take more than a month to clear up, and will go on even longer if you try treating it with algae killers...

Oh, something else came to mind. What does your pond smell like? That's important to pay attention to over time. If you have ever seen a large pool of water that doesn't move, you know what stagnant water smells like. And you may have already smelled something when the ammonia was spiking. When everything is good in your pond, you shouldn't smell anything except fresh water, but over time things will change and a smell may be your first sign that something is wrong. This is one of the things you need to learn about your pond that will help you keep it running smoothly through the years.

Well stated!

Reaction score
Ammonia is so confusing... On camera it looks yellow but through my eye it's around .25... Le me take a seperate photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
When viewing it looks greenish but comes out yellow..

Anyways , yeah! I plan to figure out more on the pond I'm going to figure out my waterfall bog.

My pond is really plain and simple nothing to crazy with piping and stuff...
But I did do many stuff to try to quicken up the process. I've done a lot, but also one day the water had a strong smell not disgusting but different

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Definitely judge by eye, NOT by the camera picture. If you say it looks like 0.25, then that's fine. You don't have to keep posting pictures of each test, just tell us the numbers.

That smell was probably the ammonia. It's good that you noticed it, every little detail can tell you if something does go wrong with the pond, and those early signs can help you stop a problem before you lose any fish. Obviously yo uknow that because your pond is new, something is 'wrong' (meaning that it is cycling right now, so the water is not correctly balanced). Like I said, once the cycle is complete, you should have no smell at all.

Reaction score
Definitely judge by eye, NOT by the camera picture. If you say it looks like 0.25, then that's fine. You don't have to keep posting pictures of each test, just tell us the numbers.

That smell was probably the ammonia. It's good that you noticed it, every little detail can tell you if something does go wrong with the pond, and those early signs can help you stop a problem before you lose any fish. Obviously yo uknow that because your pond is new, something is 'wrong' (meaning that it is cycling right now, so the water is not correctly balanced). Like I said, once the cycle is complete, you should have no smell at all.

Usually the fish are idle until I come out and peak over.
And go crazy, I see flashing everyday. I've been out there for alittle swimming together but waiting to see some flash. I tried smelling real hard the smell isn't there anymore like before

Ask a Question