UPDATE on Pond cycle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Oh... chloramine instead of chlorine, and it registers as ammonia? Very good to know! I've never heard of that before, and I would definitely be suspicious if there was actually ammonia in the city water.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How is my nitrate up but not nitrites?
Didn't I understand that you used old pond water to help fill the pond? If so the nitrates could have come from the old pond water and sludge run off from the back wash of the pet store filter.

Reaction score
Didn't I understand that you used old pond water to help fill the pond? If so the nitrates could have come from the old pond water and sludge run off from the back wash of the pet store filter.
Wow I'm clueless! I never thought of that. I guess that could be possible.

Reaction score
Oh... chloramine instead of chlorine, and it registers as ammonia? Very good to know! I've never heard of that before, and I would definitely be suspicious if there was actually ammonia in the city water.
That is not the case. Chloromines are usually formed when ammonia is added to chlorine. So the ammonia registers as ammonia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As a matter of interest Calvin whats the temerature where you are both air and water temperatures ?
Temerature will go half way to helping things along my friend the higher the temperature the quicker things should happen I've a feeling things are going to spike pretty soon but I did say how longs a piece of string each pond will go at its own rate and not before .
The important thing is that we keep your fish alive so please learn to read them as they will tell you more about whats happening in your pond than any of us can,
Because non of us are with you in Texas by your pond helping you through this its down to them to let you know .
You could say we are all blind apart from you and your koi and can only go off what you are telling us, you are the one eyed man in the land of the blind so to speak.......the koi your other eye .
Just hold your nerve have faith it will spike soon:happy:
Remember once it does spike that constant maintenance of your pond and filters along with water changes and weekly monitoring of water perameters will keep thngs just sweet. :happy:
As a matter of interest what size filters are on both your ponds , the reason I ask i it may be an idea to upgrade things as a matter of course as you go along and your fish load increases.
Which believe me it will as your koi grow, the larger the koi the more waste being produced by them all .
We are lucky in that aspect as our filteration units are monsters , our pond being a retro-fitted former QT pond for a koi dealership they are designed to take that ever increasing load .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a matter of interest Calvin whats the temerature where you are both air and water temperatures ?
Temerature will go half way to helping things along my friend the higher the temperature the quicker things should happen I've a feeling things are going to spike pretty soon but I did say how longs a piece of string each pond will go at its own rate and not before .
The important thing is that we keep your fish alive so please learn to read them as they will tell you more about whats happening in your pond than any of us can,
Because non of us are with you in Texas by your pond helping you through this its down to them to let you know .
You could say we are all blind apart from you and your koi and can only go off what you are telling us, you are the one eyed man in the land of the blind so to speak.......the koi your other eye .
Just hold your nerve have faith it will spike soon:happy:
Remember once it does spike that constant maintenance of your pond and filters along with water changes and weekly monitoring of water perameters will keep thngs just sweet. :happy:
As a matter of interest what size filters are on both your ponds , the reason I ask i it may be an idea to upgrade things as a matter of course as you go along and your fish load increases.
Which believe me it will as your koi grow, the larger the koi the more waste being produced by them all .
We are lucky in that aspect as our filteration units are monsters , our pond being a retro-fitted former QT pond for a koi dealership they are designed to take that ever increasing load .

Dave

Oh man the temperatures here ranges from 90-100 85 lowest.

So when it SPIKES how long does it stay in spike mode? Or would it drop drastically. When I see a spike I'll apply Amquel because it removes the toxins but it's still there.

The filter size... I'm not sure how to tell this but one filter filters up to 1000 and the other one is 1500

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh man the temperatures here ranges from 90-100 85 lowest.

So when it SPIKES how long does it stay in spike mode? Or would it drop drastically. When I see a spike I'll apply Amquel because it removes the toxins but it's still there.

The filter size... I'm not sure how to tell this but one filter filters up to 1000 and the other one is 1500

Calvin, do you have a thermometer that will measure the water temp? You can get those from places like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. in their pool department. It will be a floating thermometer with a string attached (some are cute, like a rubber ducky). It would be good if you could measure the actual temp of the water, too, and report that.

Reaction score
Calvin, do you have a thermometer that will measure the water temp? You can get those from places like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. in their pool department. It will be a floating thermometer with a string attached (some are cute, like a rubber ducky). It would be good if you could measure the actual temp of the water, too, and report that.
Okay, I should do that. Let me go run to Home Depot now.

Ask a Question