UPDATE on Pond cycle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha no.... I have 17 KOI 1 goldfish and 1 pleco...
What ????? , we thought you had 9 koi in your pond "jesus man youv'e played a dangersous game there my friend one that could have cost you everyone of those fish".......
However it seems as your ammonia has converted nicely, Calvin as I said it would its spike and then gradually decreased , so now the nitrite should spike and that will be the end of it hopefully .
However take note of what I've said otherwise your going to end up in no end of trouble again and this time you may not be so lucky as you were this time 17 koi 1 goldfsh and a pleco is more enough for your pond no more than that .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
What ????? , we thought you had 9 koi in your pond "jesus man youv'e played a dangersous game there my friend one that could have cost you everyone of those fish.......
However it seems as your ammonia has converted nicely, Calvin as I said it would its spike and then gradually decreased , so now the nitrite should spike and that will be the end of it hopefully .
However take note of what I've said otherwise your going to end up in no end of trouble again and this time you may not be so lucky as you were this time 17 koi 1 goldfsh and a pleco is more enough for your pond no more than that .

Dave

My wording or sentence was probably confusing.. I thought spike was going to be like 4.0 ppm not .50.. Waiting for that nitrite.. I'm getting rid of the small ones cutting down the numbers when I can catch these guys!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have 13 fish for almost 4000 gallons but 2 of my koi are around 2 ft and I have 2 filters on each end of the pond .Koi really produce a lot of waste and I only feed mine 3 or 4 times a week
My wording or sentence was probably confusing.. I thought spike was going to be like 4.0 ppm not .50.. Waiting for that nitrite.. I'm getting rid of the small ones cutting down the numbers when I can catch these guys!!
Glad your talking note sissy has less of a fish load on her 4,000 gallon US pond than you do in 1700 .......

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Believe me every year I give away lots of babies .Koi are hard enough I sure don't want a lot of fish to overload my system and since I am starting over it is even more important .Yep they sure are hard to catch I use a flash light and food at night to try to catch some of them .Not sure if I have any this year as water is cloudy yet and plants just don't want to grow .At least so far water is testing OK .I wish it was easier like my old established pond was ,but that takes awhile to happen and this year has been a rough year .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Believe me every year I give away lots of babies .Koi are hard enough I sure don't want a lot of fish to overload my system and since I am starting over it is even more important .Yep they sure are hard to catch I use a flash light and food at night to try to catch some of them .Not sure if I have any this year as water is cloudy yet and plants just don't want to grow .At least so far water is testing OK .I wish it was easier like my old established pond was ,but that takes awhile to happen and this year has been a rough year .
Yes especially because I think your filtration system is too small to handle that load Calvin you've yet to tell us exactly what your using.
Can you post a photo of it please below are photo's of our own filtration during the construction phase of our pond after coming outside after 22 years of indoor koi keeping 5 years ago, prior to an insulated filter housing being built around them :-
Dave_1.jpg

Dave 2.jpg

Dave 4.jpg

Believe me that as a former koi business QT holding pond these filters could handle upwards of 100 6 " koi for months at a time and we have far less than that in it than when it was a working QT unit :happy:.
It was a bugger to retro-fit but where there' a will there's a way (y)

Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IU really think air in the filters has a lot to do also with the filters working better ,I have a 12 outlet and 2 inch air stones and 2 hose in each of my filters and 1 in my waterfall and the rest in the pond .The more air the better .Even though I am starting over my aerator is helping a lot .

Attachments

• dave the turtle 009.JPG
    dave the turtle 009.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 253
  • dave the turtle 007.JPG
    dave the turtle 007.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 213
  • dave the turtle 012.JPG
    dave the turtle 012.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 226
  • shed pond butterfly 009.JPG
    shed pond butterfly 009.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 255
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
IU really think air in the filters has a lot to do also with the filters working better ,I have a 12 outlet and 2 inch air stones and 2 hose in each of my filters and 1 in my waterfall and the rest in the pond .The more air the better .Even though I am starting over my aerator is helping a lot .
I totally agree with you on this Sissy the more airstones the better we run a total of twelve three each in the second and third a further 6 in our fourth filter filters supplied by an airtec40e
Then another airtec 40e supplying through a garden hose tpe pipe then threaded down through a T pipe into the 4" bottom drain supplying the air column you see in the centre of the pond via an spindrifter sat in the bottom drain which we control airflow wise with a ball valve .
We could cut it off completely and the koi would still be fine the amount of air pumped through the filters would infact support them .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really hate to say but I never liked those pressure filters I had 2 and the smelled like a sewer when I opened them and even though I was flushing them 2 times a day and they had built in uv's they were worthless and then I built my own filter lava rock and plants and a small 10 dollar flea market stock tank and tank adapters . .Well actually a 50 gallon one and then added the second 1 eventually i will get the time to get it finished

Attachments

• pond flag 022.JPG
    pond flag 022.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 208
Reaction score
I really hate to say but I never liked those pressure filters I had 2 and the smelled like a sewer when I opened them and even though I was flushing them 2 times a day and they had built in uv's they were worthless and then I built my own filter lava rock and plants and a small 10 dollar flea market stock tank and tank adapters . .Well actually a 50 gallon one and then added the second 1 eventually i will get the time to get it finished
I will upgrade everything in time. I'm only 19. I built it all from my money and time.. So purchasing an expensive filter is not an option till maybe a few months haha. Also guys when my nitrites spike how do I test my water for .03% salt(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You are young and you will learn however if koi were made to swim in salt they would be marine fish give it a while after the completeion of the cycle and remove it ,
The only time we ever use salt is for short term salt baths to rid the koi of any parasites during QTing

Dave

Reaction score
You are young and you will learn however if koi were made to swim in salt they would be marine fish give it a while after the completeion of the cycle and remove it ,
The only time we ever use salt is for short term salt baths to rid the koi of any parasites during QTing

Dave
Oh I thought it's needed to protect the koi from nitrite.. Well IF I really did get pass ammonia.. It took 2-3 days.. Hopefully nitrite the same. Will do another parameter check in 2 hours.

Ask a Question