Using bedrock and concrete as a pond...?

Reaction score
yes, thats my biggest concern, is getting this sealed up as best as possible from the start. Its no question that this will freeze solid from top to bottom, and i want to eliminate as much as possible any frost jacking of the concrete wall and fracturing elsewhere.

That why i want to pin the concrete wall to the rock and seal the crap out of the rock.

Of course, i dont expect it to be a 100%, never have to touch it again, kind of deal. i do expect to have to deal with the odd fracture in the spring time, thats part of the fun!

Reaction score
HTH said:
Keep in mind that saturated rock will spault or split with freeze thaw cycles. Any rock that gets wet directly or indirectly need to be sealed if it will freeze.

I had a formal pond in a greenhouse enclosure that had a freeze thaw cycle frequent over the winter. It reduced the concrete pavers on one side to rubble.
this is why epoxy will probably be best, both for sealing and flexibility.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
There are waterproofing sealers that you can use on the rocks near the stream and falls to keep them for absorbing too much moisture. It is a clear coating. Perry uses it with if faux rock.

Reaction score
Thanks, any idea on the brand?

I was thinking about just using clear epoxy on the waterfall. that would seal it up nice and make the rock look great. A bit pricey way to go, but a guy can get it bulk at a decent price (generally used in wood boat building)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey I stumbled across your post from years ago... I have a very similar situation now... how did your project work out? What did you use? Can you post pictures of your finished pond/bedrock stream??? Anything you would do differently? Cheers

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Westcoastpond, the member who started this thread hasn’t been active in 7 years, so I doubt that you will get an update — but it would be nice to know, if he does respond.

This is just a suggestion, but you might want to start a new thread about YOUR particular issues, rather than piggy-backing onto this one. Your chances of getting current responses might be a little better. Also, go to our “introductions” topic and tell us a little about yourself. It sounds like your pond is still in the planning stages.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wish I could help you. My pond is concrete with natural rock (lava rock and other kinds that I can't identify) embedded into it (and built up into a 3-tiered fountain). It's beautiful and was very well done--by the person who built the house in the 50's. I have no idea how they did it. What I do know, though, is that they did it well enough that it has stood for decades without splitting or cracking over the winter. So it CAN be done.

Ask a Question