Using Turface for pond plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have read that you can use Turface mvp for planting media for water Lily’s. Mine are just growing in the gravel bottom but are not doing well. Thinking about trying this product in fabric pots. Has anyone tried this?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi- checked out the website for it. It seems to be a heat treated version of the mortmorillinite clay used in koi ponds. Have you tried using the plain clay kitty litter? Its easy to get and a lot cheaper! $5 for 40lbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi- checked out the website for it. It seems to be a heat treated version of the mortmorillinite clay used in koi ponds. Have you tried using the plain clay kitty litter? Its easy to get and a lot cheaper! $5 for 40lbs.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried kitty litter but it seems to turn to mush and get very smelly. The fish also love to get at it even when I covered with gravel.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm thinking its going to be the same with the Turface but if you decide to try it, post your results! You may start a new trend.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Interesting thought. I'm very familiar with Turface from my years with our local Little League baseball program. It's not cheap, but you probably won't need a lot. There are several other products that are basically the same thing - I wonder how they compare in price?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think even turface would get smelly just like litter.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Turface is supposed to hold up better because of the heat treatment. I think its more of the pond water and plant material that causes the litter to smell so bad after time and not the litter itself. I think I'm going to try some of the Oil-dri and see how it compares.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've considered using Oil-Dry @mrsclem - let us know if you do and how it works! Since I don't have cats but I do have occasional oil drips to deal with, Oil-Dry would serve a dual purpose for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Turface is supposed to hold up better because of the heat treatment. I think its more of the pond water and plant material that causes the litter to smell so bad after time and not the litter itself. I think I'm going to try some of the Oil-dri and see how it compares.
Turface is supposed to hold up better not turn to mush and allow better water flow. They use it for bonsai. I may try some mixed with soil. Also I am going to check out the oil dry idea. Maybe test in a bucket of water and see how it holds up.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ordeed several bags of Oil-driveway as I have lotus seedlings as well as lilies that need divided. Maybe the koi won't bother the oil-dri? We can only hope!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read that you can use Turface mvp for planting media for water Lily’s. Mine are just growing in the gravel bottom but are not doing well. Thinking about trying this product in fabric pots. Has anyone tried this?
My wife and I had a beautiful koi pond ind Denver and volunteered Colorado water garden society. A member in the society refused to dig a pond but kept lillies and lotus in pots filled with turface and was always happy with the results. He unearthed the plants to winter them dry and replanted every spring. I’m sure in a pond turface would work beautifully as your not having to replant in spring. I now live in Missouri and a pint is not practical but I’m planning some pots with turface for my deck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Not all kitty litter turns to mush. You have to experiment with different brands. I had good luck with the stuff I got at Walmart but that was awhile ago.

SET

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Has anyone just used rocks in a pot on a shelf in the pond for iris, pickerel rush or cardinal flower?

Ask a Question