Clarifiers don't meet proper pond specs GRR!!

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wanted to come in here and vent. It seems that tetra (don't know if the other brands are any better) doesn't really take actual properly built ponds into consideration when they design their clarifiers. I have roughly a 2000 gallon pond. So, my 1800 gallon rated clarifer should be just about right. We can't have everything match 100% perfect all the time, so its 200 gallons off. Meaning, its only rated for 1800 gallons, instead of the size of the pond which is 2000 gallons. But that's really no big deal, and it doesn't matter in the long run. There is no reason that it should not be able to kill all the suspended algae in the pond. Albeit more slowly. The stuff that makes the water green.

Except that it wasn't made right. As we all know, you need to cycle all of the water in the pond, through your filtration system, every hour. Right? Every hour and a half, at the very least. So of course I bought a pump that flows enough to do that. Well, this clarifier which is "rated" to be used on ponds up to 1800 gallons, can only work effectively at a flow rate of 900 gallons per hour. :disappointed_anim: So how in the world is it "rated" for 1800 gallons, when it can only kill algae when the water is flowing at 900Gph max? It can't. So even if my pond was exactly 1800 gallons, and I had the 1800 gallon clarifier, there is no way it would kill the algae. And I got the new bulbs like yall said to do, and it still isn't. I have of course given it ample time to work, and I discovered this little flaw upon browsing the manual of the clarifier. So basically I need to spend another $200 and get the clarifier that is "rated" up to 4400 gallons, if I want my water to be clear. Cause its the one that can handle the proper flow rate and still do its job. /rant over

Maybe someone could recommend a clarifer that can handle the correct flow rate, and still kill algae. I guess I can say this: Stay away from tetra clarifiers.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you have to much flow thru the clarifier probably...you put a tee connaction and ball valve to cut the flow thru the clarifier and send 1/2 the water directly to the filter and 1/2 tru the clarifier... i use a 9 watt tetra pond clarifier and a 1200 gph pump on a 1200 gal pond and mine will clear up the water in 3 - 4 days, to crystal clear. i only run mine a week or so in the spring to clear it up and a few extra days for good measure and thats it...and you can read the paper thru my water!!
if your still having green water problems at this time of year, you may need soime filtration improvements and / or more plants...they use the same nutrients as the alge

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
BennyLava said:
How does improved filtration help with algae? Does the bacteria in a bio filter eat algae as well?

The bio filters helps remove the nutrients that the algae lives on. Not sure if it eats algae for breakfast lol

Reaction score
That makes sense. So basically, if you have enough bio filtration, then you simply won't have any algae. I don't have the funds or the desire to build some big bog garden right now so I guess those 55 gallon drums will have to do. My only question is, what goes in the drums besides a boatload of those bacteria balls? Some kind of mesh?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theres several DIY filters here in the DIY forum....stocktanks make a fantastic lower profile filter that can easily be located pondside and hidden as a waterfall....theres both stocktank and 55 gal barrel designs. i have and use both.

Reaction score
Ok I now know that I need to try to expand my bio filtration.

But you gotta agree, those clarifiers aren't built right. Or at the very least, they aren't rated correctly. The way that a pond is supposed to flow, the one I have is only actually good for a max of 900 gallions. Cause that's the max flow rate that it can be effective.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
which one do you have? my 9 watter tetra performs great at 1200 gph flow.... you also need to mechanically filter out the dead alge or it goes back into the pond to feed the next round of alge. like i said, i run mine for 10 days tops, early in the season, and its job is done for the year! my water is crystal clear consistantly. even with all my shade plants destroyed for over a month now my water is clear. i never even suffer thru the string alge that everyone complains about, i get some but its minimal. i get it in my filter at the top where i like it!

Reaction score
i believe that the general rule of thumb is that a pond needs to circulate 50% of its water per hour, so a 1800 gallon pond would need a pump that flows 900 gallons per hour. Don't forget that some people only have water gardens, or a couple of gold fish and do not need such a big pump.

It is when you add a waterfal, or koi that you need more flow and better filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
wow I'm way off by that calculation. I have a 1500 gallon pond and a 4500 GPH pump ..

Reaction score
BennyLava said:
See I always thought that you needed to circulate 100% of the water through the filter per hour.

I remember seeing a chart on water flow (GPH) and UV wattage. I'll try to find it again and post it here.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I should also mention that I have the 9 watt Tetra from Lowes and it says ok to use up to 1900 GPH pump.

Don't forget if you have a waterfall you do need more flow than 50% of your ponp volume per hour, or your waterfall will be more like a water trickle.

Ask a Question