UV sterilizer and clarifier?

c0w

Reaction score
what is the difference between a UV sterilizer and clarifier? I have been having issues with algae and the water turning murky green.

Also I have tried using algae treatment but it makes the fish stay at the bottom of the pond??? I hope it's not making them sick.

My backyard pond is about 280 gallons, what would be a good uv clarifier to use? home depot brand?

c0w

Reaction score
so you connect this thing from the pump and then connect it to the filter? sorry for these ridiculous noob questions.

Reaction score
My understanding is that water flow makes your clarifier a sterilizer / clarifier. The slower flow being the sterilizer mode. Laguna has tables listed somewhere on the internet showing the flow ratios.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont run mine long .but between the one pump and one filter. its hard to run a u.v after a gravity output filter, especially when you have a weir outlet not plumbing!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i dont run mine long .but between the one pump and one filter. its hard to run a u.v after a gravity output filter, especially when you have a weir outlet not plumbing!

good point. I run mine between my store bought pressure filter and my DIY filter. It would be impossible to run a UV with the output of a skippy or doc style filter.

Reaction score
Clarifying basically means getting the green out. Sterilizing is like killing everything in the water that could potentially cause disease. UV filters will have have a higher gallon rating for clarifying versus sterilizing, because it take much less wattage to clarify. Sterilizing is mostly a concern in reef tanks. Clarifying is what us ponders are concerned about.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
but you should be able to achieve either or by adjusting water flow, thereby exposure time

To a certain degree yes. But don't expect a 9 watt UV to Sterilize a 5000 gallon pond just because you're only running 100gph through it.

Reaction score
thats true but, there is some common sence that goes along with this, just like a fitler is a filter you cant filter a 5000 gal pond with a 5 gal filter.

Ask a Question