UV sterilizers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a huge advocate of UV sterilizers for not only disinfecting but it keeps the water crystal clear as well. I had a submersible Pond Master for 3 years and only had to change the bulb once. I decided on a Jebao sterilizer this year due to the cheaper price and so far it's been very effective. Since using the Jebao which cannot be submerged, I do like having it more accessible rather than fishing it out of the pond. The only downside is it must be taken inside during the winter which isn't that much of a big deal for me.

Do you find UV sterilizers useful?

20220909_110252.jpg

20220909_110607.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had 2, used for a week or so in spring. Since setting up bogs, uv no longer needed. Sold both!
I too use a bog filter and absolutely love it however my pond only gets shade from my pond plants and until they fully grow out, the algae becomes a nuisance. The UV sterilizer eliminates the problem.

Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've never had one, but I also don't really have a problem with much suspended algae, so never felt the need to get one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had one on a pond 20 years ago, my current pond only has a bog. That's good enough for me. I do get a bit of string algae but I pluck it out as needed and use hydrogen peroxide from time to time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a Savio UV light that fits inside our Savio skimmer. Honestly we haven't used it for a few years, guessing the pond just matured enough that it stays pretty balanced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Never been a fan. They do kill single cell algae, but they also kill any other single cell organism that passes by the UV.

Why do you feel your pond needs disinfecting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a Savio UV light that fits inside our Savio skimmer. Honestly we haven't used it for a few years, guessing the pond just matured enough that it stays pretty balanced.
I also have a Savio set-up with included UV. I use it in the warmer months then pull it out for the winter. My roughly 700 gal goldfish pond stays clear enough so that I can see to the bottom at its lowest 3 foot level. I do get some string algae but don't know how well UV is supposed to work on that. Is my water so clear because of the UV or do I just have a good ecological balance? Unknown.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had 2, used for a week or so in spring. Since setting up bogs, uv no longer needed. Sold both!
Ì
The UV sterilizer eliminates the problem.
I don't believe it eliminates the problem but more so it Delays.
Most of what uvs do is to kill living organisms whether it be parasites or algae. Once that occurs it breaks down the complex compounds and as they die they break down into smaller compounds. . In your case probably just long enough to give your bog a chance to grow and establish its self. Thus keeping the green algae peasoup or string algae from reappearing.

A well balanced aquarium or pond will not need the benefit of uvs. How ever 90 percent of aquariums are like a sterile box with little natural defense.
Change that to a planted fish tank or a reef and now you have all kinds of help balancing the ecosystem.
Not to your self. But all to often many will run for a bottle to solve a problem with their ponds. When many times it should be to work on their filtering system or overfeeding and crowding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ì

I don't believe it eliminates the problem but more so it Delays.
Most of what uvs do is to kill living organisms whether it be parasites or algae. Once that occurs it breaks down the complex compounds and as they die they break down into smaller compounds. . In your case probably just long enough to give your bog a chance to grow and establish its self. Thus keeping the green algae peasoup or string algae from reappearing.

A well balanced aquarium or pond will not need the benefit of uvs. How ever 90 percent of aquariums are like a sterile box with little natural defense.
Change that to a planted fish tank or a reef and now you have all kinds of help balancing the ecosystem.
Not to your self. But all to often many will run for a bottle to solve a problem with their ponds. When many times it should be to work on their filtering system or overfeeding and crowding.
It would be foolish of me to comment as to a right or wrong approach surrounding other pond owners due to so many different scenarios however I can comment on my approach works great for me.

Ask a Question