Val and I are in total shock.

Reaction score
No, you don't want to stir up waters below ice layers, where it's going to break up the stratified 40f stable water and can kick up lethal doses of methane and hydrogen sulphide deposited in larger natural ponds
That is the whole point, my friend, by providing proper circulation and oxygenation in those lakes they were able to avoid getting that stratified anoxic toxic buildup in the first place thus prevent winter fish deaths.
I take it you didn't read that report at all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nope. I've read lots of reports, lots of Winters. Certain assumptions I'd take for granted. Decades ago. Currently I'm more interested in the impact of global warming accelerating pest and disease problems, those I'll skim to figure ways to stop them before they kick in.

Besides which, what the hell has keeping trout, unrealistically on eutrophic glacial lakes through Summer, got to do with fishkeeping in the winter months. It is beyond me,

I do like Philip Swindells, Norman Bennett, Perry Slocum, Bob Lusk's assessments on keeping large ponds. He's been doing it nearly as long as I have.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I will look up that peter Wellington and set him straight. He obviously does not know nothing about wintering koi either. Just because he has a book does not mean he knows everything. Its obvious he knows very little about wintering koi. Book must be out of date too...

Best of luck there @callingcolleen1 more than likely he will bite your head off on this point why ? because he is totally set against koi being in unheated ponds over winter "full stop".
I would say he is most rabid in his beliefs when it comes to it, first having spent many years first getting the trust of Japan's Koi Breeders then taking many more to learn from them.
However I would like to take you to task about we here in the South West of the UK having more parasites because of where we are geographically in the world that's a total nonsense U tube huh , Honestly do you think that Canadian koi are somehow more immune to them that here ???....every pond in the world has parasites , its keeping the numbers down to minimal, this is why we scrape in late spring to see if they are up in numbers or not and if so to treat the pond .

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When rivers, lakes are frozen over or clouded by storms, herons go looking for the bright colours of perty sushi bars. A net over a pond in the Winter months and a host of other cunning methods can foil such foul fowl

Heron pie was a popular feature in ye olde english tavern,,, Folk would put a fishing net across a pond with a tiny gap, wait at dawn for the sneaky heron to sneak in the narrow gap, shout 'boo' and the silly bird would crash its mangey wings into the net, sure to meet with a quick fate at the hands of umpteen medieval instruments

Nothing sad or disturbing about a poultry pie

Going for the daily stroll around the ponds here, who knows what will stir, large owls, eagles, herons...
Sorry bud but heron is off the menu here in the UK some dumbo put a wildlife protection order on them hence no more ye olde Heron Pie at the English tavern anymore :whistle:(y)

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yah, heron pie was so popular they nearly ate the lot. tsk. Now you have to do it yourself. pfft

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Best of luck there @callingcolleen1 more than likely he will bite your head off on this point why ? because he is totally set against koi being in unheated ponds over winter "full stop".
I would say he is most rabid in his beliefs when it comes to it, first having spent many years first getting the trust of Japan's Koi Breeders then taking many more to learn from them.
However I would like to take you to task about we here in the South West of the UK having more parasites because of where we are geographically in the world that's a total nonsense , do you think that Canadian koi are somehow more immune to them that here ???....every pond in the world has parasites , its keeping the numbers down to minimal, this is why we scrape in late spring to see if they are up in numbers or not and if so to treat the pond .

Dave 54
I am just pointing out that Koi and goldfish are cold water fish according to the Oxford Concise Dictionary and therefore should be treated as such and not treated like "tropical fish" as they are clearly not that. If peter Wallington wants to distpute that fact he can take it up the the very distinguished Oxford Concise Dictionary. And once again, Peter NEVER wintered his koi and so he cannot say he is an expert in that field as he has never ever wintered his koi.
I can prove that my koi and goldfish are all alive and very healthy as my UTube channel has all my videos from many years past. Peter can prove is that he is very good at treating sick and diseased koi as a result of treating cold water fish (koi) like tropical fish. I can prove without a shaddow of dought that my very same koi are still very much alive and well after 27 long winter years in Ice Cold running water. I can prove that with my Utube channel (colleen penny) which now has almost 1,000,000.00 views now and several thousand followers, some of which are top koi keepers from the UK.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Nope. I've read lots of reports, lots of Winters. Certain assumptions I'd take for granted. Decades ago. Currently I'm more interested in the impact of global warming accelerating pest and disease problems, those I'll skim to figure ways to stop them before they kick in.

Besides which, what the hell has keeping trout, unrealistically on eutrophic glacial lakes through Summer, got to do with fishkeeping in the winter months. It is beyond me,

I do like Philip Swindells, Norman Bennett, Perry Slocum, Bob Lusk's assessments on keeping large ponds. He's been doing it nearly as long as I have.
Trout and Koi are both COLD WATER Fish and NOT Tropical and as such should be treated as COLD Water Fish

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh Look!!! Yet another video from the UK of koi outside and very much alive in Ice Cold Running water in the UK snowstorm. His koi look awesome and are doing very well in ice cold running water. Somebody Call old outdated Peter Waddington and tell him too look up all the videos of people posting their heathy koi all over the world in Ice cold running water... I will bet you he won't have any problems with parasites this summer! .

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh Look! another guy wintering his koi all winter, this time in Pittsburgh! There is so very many people on UTube now running their ponds all winter with big beautiful koi. Peter Waddington will have to write a new updated book on "how to winter your koi ponds successfully now that so many people from all over the world are wintering their koi fish in ice cold running water....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nishikigoi have never been raised in waters colder than 10c. To dump them in ponds with drastic colder winter swings is remarkably bad opinion and going to kill them in large numbers. Trying to make bucks of spamming bad advice is appalling, no less

http://koikichi.com/a-winter-warning/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh Look! another guy wintering his koi all winter, this time in Pittsburgh! There is so very many people on UTube now running their ponds all winter with big beautiful koi. Peter Waddington will have to write a new updated book on "how to winter your koi ponds successfully now that so many people from all over the world are wintering their koi fish in ice cold running water....
As @audioenvy has just posted please read the following link and read Peter Waddington's take on over wintering koi nd that koi are in-actual factfrom a temperate climate not a cold water one (I always say semi tropical , meaning temperate), then go to him and give him your take on koi in icy water with no heating of any sort and koi :-

.http://koikichi.com/a-winter-warning/

Better still why not buy his book Koi Kichi ISBN 095263810X Hardback ISBN 0952638118 Deluxe. Peter Waddington.
I can promise you a truly amazing read as it is one of the best books on the market about the subject of koi you will learn a remarkable amount that you didn't know about koi , but will be able t take it away with you and use that knowledge.
You may well be able to prove it on your Utube channel that your koi are alive and living in ice cod water (apart from your cattle heater that is ) but that isn't Peter's argument ) how do I know because I many years ago, put the same argument forwards too him.and in the end had to agree with what he says .
This is why in spring we are placing our new filters indoors in a shed that can and will be heated in winter thus taking the chill off of the water and keeping the temperature above 10c in the winter months and as you are already aware we already cover our filters ..

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Dave 54 what heat source will you use for your shed? I'm using a very basic sand & gravel filter and wonder if it was in a heated area, if I could run it year round.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Nishikigoi have never been raised in waters colder than 10c. To dump them in ponds with drastic colder winter swings is remarkably bad opinion and going to kill them in large numbers. Trying to make bucks of spamming bad advice is appalling, no less

http://koikichi.com/a-winter-warning/
Never said to dump them into ice cold pond. You could however slowly lower your pond temps gradually and instead and let them winter naturally as winter approaches.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
As @audioenvy has just posted please read the following link and read Peter Waddington's take on over wintering koi nd that koi are in-actual factfrom a temperate climate not a cold water one (I always say semi tropical , meaning temperate), then go to him and give him your take on koi in icy water with no heating of any sort and koi :-

.http://koikichi.com/a-winter-warning/

Better still why not buy his book Koi Kichi ISBN 095263810X Hardback ISBN 0952638118 Deluxe. Peter Waddington.
I can promise you a truly amazing read as it is one of the best books on the market about the subject of koi you will learn a remarkable amount that you didn't know about koi , but will be able t take it away with you and use that knowledge.
You may well be able to prove it on your Utube channel that your koi are alive and living in ice cod water (apart from your cattle heater that is ) but that isn't Peter's argument ) how do I know because I many years ago, put the same argument forwards too him.and in the end had to agree with what he says .
This is why in spring we are placing our new filters indoors in a shed that can and will be heated in winter thus taking the chill off of the water and keeping the temperature above 10c in the winter months and as you are already aware we already cover our filters ..

Dave 54
I am sorry Dave but I am not a fan of his and I much perfer to stick with my method as my koi are never sick as a direct result of letting them winter naturally as they are cold water fish. Peter can dispute that fact with the very distinguished Oxford Concise Dictionary. I much perfer my method as it is best for Koi as they are cold water fish and that is simply why they do so well and remain free from sickness after 27 years. People all over the world are winterng koi and thanks to UTube you can find many of them. Although I believe my UTube channel has the longest documented case of wintering koi in very cold extreme temps as I obsessively upload videos and ignored so many people who never ever wintered koi, try to tell me that what I have been doing was for last 27 years, was just impossible.....

Ask a Question