Val and I are in total shock.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just glad I don't have to worry too much about string algae in my ponds... By the time my koi wake up after long winter nap, they are so hungry that they mow the green algae carpet away very quickly and then the most powerful pond filter on earth (extra large yellow flag water irises) that live in lower pond marsh area , lick the pond bottom clean with their long white healthy roots!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Its also very nice that everybody finally realized there is no such thing as "super chilled pond water" and that koi can do extremely well in circulating ice cold water for six months at a time and come out bigger and healthier every year, as I have been trying to explain to everybody. Lots of people now know that lack of oxygen under the ice is biggest killer of koi and nothing to do with cold water.
Now I have been busy on UTube trying to wake people up all over the world. 46 new subs this week alone, must be doing something right!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had a look at some more of that Cheryl's videos on her youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1s9ZMSVx-JPh_RKXO-drgQ
I think she has done a great job with all her plumbing and the whole concept, but there is at least a couple issue I would have done differently and I see as potential problems.
(1) the pumps location.
She put the pumps right on the ground, that is a bad Idea, better to elevate them so if there is any flooding there are not so susceptible to getting damaged by the water. Great that she installed a drain pit with a sump pump for that, but she goes on to say she has already had some flooding in there from the one tank at the opposite end of the room from the sump area right next to one of her pumps and lost 1 ft of water from her pond. Better to raise the pumps a foot or two off the ground, there is no reason to leave them right on the ground.

(2) Vapor barrier.
Looking at the video below I see it looks like she insulated her pump/filter room but did not install a vapor barrier at all. I guarantee what will happen over time is moisture in the air will seep through the gaps in the cedar siding on the walls and ceiling and permeate into that insulation and cause mold issues. @Mitch recognizes that that would be an issue in a confined space with open water like that, that is why he was quizzing me about mold in my pump room.
Unfortunately, the moisture condensation and inevitable mold issue that Cheryl will get will develop behind the siding unseen from Cheryl's eyes. This sort of thing happens in old homes all the time and the black mold that develops is a very serious health issue. She could still fix the issue by installing a vapor barrier over the siding but I see that her last video was 2 years ago and two winters have passed since then, perhaps it is too late???
Most of her tanks have lids but she has a Baki type shower in there too so you can count on there being a lot of humidity in the air in that room.

I think Cheryl mostly posts her videos to KKONA FB group now, but I don't know how to search the group for recent pictures / videos. Mold - :eek: yikes!

Reaction score
I think Cheryl mostly posts her videos to KKONA FB group now, but I don't know how to search the group for recent pictures / videos. Mold - :eek: yikes!
Perhaps you could contact her on that koi forum you follow her on and ask her if she sees or has noticed much condensation, and let her know there could certainly be an issue going on behind those cedar boards, if not now then in the future.
Wherever you have high humidity in the air and colder surfaces (like exterior walls, windows, and doors) you will get condensation. Without some sort of vapor barrier, the moist air in her pump room will pass through the siding and permeate and condense on the cooler insulation and outside wall. And eventually grow mold or even rot if it is real bad. I have wrung the water out of soaking wet fiberglass insulation in walls before, and that was a wall that had a vapor barrier, it just wasn't sealed properly around an electrical outlet on the inside wall. It can actually be worse if you heat the warm air inside, warmed air expands and wants to rise, it tries to get out harder than cooler air any way it can and it can find all sorts of channels through insulation and plywood framing.
Perhaps she does have a vapor barrier, I just can't see it.?
But just in case. :(
FH02JAU_02333_004.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you could contact her on that koi forum you follow her on and ask her if she sees or has noticed much condensation, and let her know there could certainly be an issue going on behind those cedar boards, if not now then in the future.
Wherever you have high humidity in the air and colder surfaces (like exterior walls, windows, and doors) you will get condensation. Without some sort of vapor barrier, the moist air in her pump room will pass through the siding and permeate and condense on the cooler insulation and outside wall. And eventually grow mold or even rot if it is real bad. I have wrung the water out of soaking wet fiberglass insulation in walls before, and that was a wall that had a vapor barrier, it just wasn't sealed properly around an electrical outlet on the inside wall. It can actually be worse if you heat the warm air inside, warmed air expands and wants to rise, it tries to get out harder than cooler air any way it can and it can find all sorts of channels through insulation and plywood framing.
Perhaps she does have a vapor barrier, I just can't see it.?
But just in case. :(
FH02JAU_02333_004.jpg

Oh yuck that really looks bad is the wall actually rotting away there , it makes you think just how much water the walls will suck up, what with the mold as well .
Well that's it we are now the proud owners of a plastic shed , however we decided on a change of plan we bought instead an 8 x 8 shed instead .
Why well for £767 minus the old codgers discount the cost was only £690 which was £82 we paid over but with extras .namely the 2ft shelving flooring thicker plastic construction etc was worth the extra.
This way we can sit the whole shed atop the 4" bottom drain Slide valve and upwards facing bend bringing it up through the flooring instead of cutting holes in the side which would negate the warranty which is 10 years then connect this up in turn to the Evolution Aqua easy pod and 55 watt UVC.and then on to the other filtration finally going out towards the pond
It is made by Keter and is known as a factor 8 x 8 Apex shed :-

https://www.diy.com/departments/8x8-factor-apex-plastic-shed/263655_BQ.prd

It should be with us within two weeks which hopefully brings much warmer weather so that we can start .
Talking to one of our koi club members who happens to work for our local B&Q it appears that we were not the only ones to loose koi to the weather which like ourselves is rather sad for the owner/s .who did .
It will take two people to put it together which should be fun ( not ) as I am not :notworthy: to be a DIY person honestly.
Would you believe its Val who changes the plugs in this house 9not me) why because, I hate those nasty electric wiggly's, after receiving a large shock onboard ship many years ago:cautious:.
Which ended up throwing me 6 ft across the Quartermasters caboosh on the main deck, though it was way back in my training ship days as a boy sailor (its a case of never again once bitten twice shy so to speak):hurting::cry:.
Besides in the Navy if we broke something someone else from another Branch would very nicely come along to fix it for us so I never really learned:eek:o_O:oops::unsure::confused:.....
i'll have to ring Brian today to tell him of our purchase so we can get the ball rolling when the shed arrives

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like the shed you chose. It looks well built and says it has a sturdy floor as well. The skylight will provide extra lighting too.

Although I'm sure it's of little comfort to you and Val ( and sad for the others ) , at least you're not alone in the loss of your koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my, you guys are talking over my head! I wouldn’t know what to do with a pump room.....or 2/3 of the equipment! But hey, in case we move to a home with more backyard space......I know where I can come for equipment advice! Seriously, that’s a cool set up!

Ask a Question