Very injured goldie!

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by myswtsins, Sep 24, 2016.

1. myswtsins

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Anti-bacterial food would certainly not hurt, and may aid in the healing

Meyer Jordan, Sep 28, 2016
    Mmathis and myswtsins like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. myswtsins

myswtsins

Having not heard back about the questions for @Dave 54 I was reluctant to move forward with that procedure. I've been slowly and ever increasing the salt levels. I read up to 6 tbls per gallon is used for prolonged treatment of goldfish so I haven't been worried about over salting (just watch for floating?). I did not add the pimafix cause I wasn't sure if I should if she has an infection and because the ammonia levels are high which I would normally fix with water changes and that's not good for dosing pimafix.

Where I am now is that the fungus near her tail hasn't almost completely fallen off and the redness has gone WAY down. She is eating the medicated food vigorously and having regular poos which I am netting out immediately. The ammonia jumped up to 1ppm even though I did take a bunch of small rocks from the stream, rinsed them in pond water and added them to the tank in a basket with an air stone in the bottom for BB (it's like a sponge filter but with pebbles instead of a sponge). I added an ample amount of prime though.

Now, I think I want to keep doing salt but want to add pimafix too. Should I just keep up on prime doses and not do water changes? Or do the water changes and not use the pimafix? I only have enough pimafix for do 6 days of dosing or I'd do WCs and replaced the removed amount of pimafix. I am also concern about WCs cause trying to get the new water to match in salt content would be extremely difficult, no?

Thanks for all the help so far and the possible help to come!

myswtsins, Sep 30, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. myswtsins

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Since the fish appears to be recovering with the present method of treatment, I see no reason to alter this treatment including raising the salt level.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 30, 2016
    Mmathis and myswtsins like this.
  4. myswtsins

myswtsins

Thanks again Meyer. What about the ammonia levels though? Using prime should be sufficient?

myswtsins, Oct 1, 2016
  5. myswtsins

Ruben Miranda I am so confused

Hi
    It has been a while since I used prime and other meds.
    But i do seem to recall that they will kill bb so causing ammo and nitrates to rise.
    I also recall it was
    No feeding
    Dose
    24 hours
    Water change
    Ammonia will to the problem so this should be corrected before continuing to dose.
    Ruben

Ruben Miranda, Oct 1, 2016
  6. myswtsins

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Prime has to be re-dosed every 24 hours. Since you really don't have any bio set up, I would also incorporate water changes each day. However, at the rate the fish is responding, I, if it were my fish, would return it to the pond once all evidence of redness has disappeared. Continue with the medicated food (it won't harm the other fish) for a few days. The fish should be strong enough by then to cease any special attention. Getting it out of the 20 gallon tank ASAP is paramount as this is certainly stressing the fish, compounding the problem.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 1, 2016
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
  7. myswtsins

myswtsins

I only "dosed" prime once, no meds. I am using salt only atm. The medicated food is the only meds she is getting so I don't want to stop feeding her. ???

Once the the redness AND the fungus is gone, right? There is still LOTS of fungus but it appears to be breaking down and a little is falling off, adding to the bio-load I'm sure. I will get a picture tomorrow, she's resting now. It is a 30g, not that it's much better. :oops:

myswtsins, Oct 1, 2016
  8. myswtsins

Usman

i didnt see pic of your fish lateron but one possiblity , its due to injury or stress when fish losses its slime coating and fungus attacks within hours then fish has tail rot some times redish or blackish border , it eats fin very quickly .

it happened once , its not contageous , i seprated it and gave methyle blue for 2 days and 1 drop per galon with antibiotic quarter tablet , the fin rot stoped but its fins were almost gone (dont use salt with these meds) , then i gave melafix and ket giving antibiotics for week , i noticed fins grew back half , i let it go in the pond then.

usualy fishes get sick very quickly and react to good med quick as well , so if your giving her med and its not working for a day or 2 then you need to change med , diagnoses is wrong .

Usman, Oct 1, 2016
  9. myswtsins

myswtsins

Pictures of her current state attached. I think she is doing well, only those tiny bits left and her tail area is pink fleshy colored but not the bright red it was. Sorry I don't have pictures of when she first came in to compare, I didn't want to stress her anymore at the time. But almost her entire side was covered in fungus and the fleshy tail spot was RED like it was bleeding type of red.

Now one of the other fish is sick. Most likely completely unrelated since this fish started as an injury turned fungal but I will link them together anyways. Sick Fish

Attached Files:

myswtsins, Oct 3, 2016
  10. myswtsins

Tula

I believe the green spots are referred to as SAP.

SAP Treatment:

At one time it was generally agreed that Malachite Green was by far the most effective treatment. However, a treatment for topical bacterial ulcer disease has shown a very serious advantage. Tricide Neo, produced for dips and sprays has now been used for topical swabbing when simply mixed with the slime of the fish. It is important to continue to work this into and under the scales and flesh of the fish for about 5 minutes. Then simply wipe off and revive the fish. The results have been extremely good. It remains to be seen if this will become a staple in the medicine cabinet for SAP but it definitely has proven, in the short term, that it works.

I copied this paragraph from my previous post, on this thread. Glad to hear the fish is improving.

Tula, Oct 3, 2016
    Usman likes this.
  11. myswtsins

Usman

yes its not finrot but looks very bad , is the fungus less now?

Usman, Oct 3, 2016
  12. myswtsins

myswtsins

Thanks @Tula (again) but if the fish is improving, drastically, with current treatment why would I change it? BTW the green-ness to the fungus MAY be from the algae that was in the basket with her, it has gotten less green since separating her from the algae.

@Usman Those pictures were just taken an hour ago so the fungus is the same as pictured but significantly less then yesterday and the day before and so on. I outlined where the fungus was when I brought her inside. It was solid and at least 1/2in thick.

The outline looks like a fish. lol

Attached Files:

myswtsins, Oct 3, 2016
  13. myswtsins

Tula

If you see drastic improvement, then you could watch and wait. If it doesn't continue to improve, then you could consider the above treatment.

Tula, Oct 4, 2016
    Usman likes this.
    1. Advertisements