walk me through "typical" pond water maturation cycle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone has ever listed out the typical water changes one can expect with a new pond and where things can go a bit off the rails. Eg, I've gathered that at some point the whole pond turning green would be normal, but large amounts of string algae would not be. Trying to decide how soon to add the bigger bioload fish (4 med-large goldfish), all that's in there right now are three danios taking my water garden/small pond for a test drive, and a whole lot of plants that are still growing in above and underneath (aquatic - hornwort, eel grass, dwarf hair grass, lotus, with floating duckweed). Water very clear, no scum on the bottom thus far but noticed a bit of a clear slimy film on the surface since yesterday.

300 gall above ground main pool, two planted gravel bog filters that waterfall into main pool, ring of marginals on "stilts" that will eventually cover the rim of the pond and hide the pond forms and concrete blocks from view.

Attachments

• IMG_7087 2.jpg
    IMG_7087 2.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7088 2.jpg
    IMG_7088 2.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 68

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I tried to Google “nitrogen cycle for dummies,” because that’s my basic level of understanding — just the basic understanding, without getting into the molecular level stuff. It’s really simple. And to help me when I was learning, I had my test kit and my spreadsheets. I tested my water about every other day and it was so interesting to actually SEE the process in action, in graph form.

There are these little bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites, and then another set of bacteria that convert nitrites into nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are always present in the pond, but you never want those levels to rise. Nitrates are only harmful in very large amounts. It’s called a “cycle” because one stage has to happen before the next stage can happen, and it is a continuous process — always.

A new pond will start out high in ammonia. As that ammonia is converted, you will start to see the ammonia level dropping, and then you will see the nitrite level start to rise. Same thing with a rising nitrite level, leading into a rise in nitrates, with nitrites going down.

It depends on your pond (size and fish load), but this cycle usually takes several weeks. Hope this helps!

BTW, if that is a container pond, I wouldn’t get to aggressive with adding fish. Goldfish will multiply, and you can easily end up overloaded.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Well, I tried to Google “nitrogen cycle for dummies,” because that’s my basic level of understanding — just the basic understanding, without getting into the molecular level stuff. It’s really simple. And to help me when I was learning, I had my test kit and my spreadsheets. I tested my water about every other day and it was so interesting to actually SEE the process in action, in graph form.

Thanks for your reply! I should have been more specific. I've had aquariums for years, and will be moving my fish from an aquarium to the pond, so I'm familiar with the nitrogen cycle and have plenty of rocks and gravel with which to continue seeding the pond, and I have all the testing supplies neccessary to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels as I add the fish. I was referring more to pond specific changes over time, like algae blooms, in relation to adding fish. For example, I've heard it said that it takes a couple of years for pond water to mature, and of course that's quite different from what you would expect in an aquarium.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States

There are these little bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites, and then another set of bacteria that convert nitrites into nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are always present in the pond, but you never want those levels to rise. Nitrates are only harmful in very large amounts. It’s called a “cycle” because one stage has to happen before the next stage can happen, and it is a continuous process — always.

A new pond will start out high in ammonia. As that ammonia is converted, you will start to see the ammonia level dropping, and then you will see the nitrite level start to rise. Same thing with a rising nitrite level, leading into a rise in nitrates, with nitrites going down.

It depends on your pond (size and fish load), but this cycle usually takes several weeks. Hope this helps!

BTW, if that is a container pond, I wouldn’t get to aggressive with adding fish. Goldfish will multiply, and you can easily end up overloaded.

As for multiplying, my goldfish have always eaten their eggs before any fry could develop, but if they actually succeed in reproducing in the pond, I'm prepared to remove small fish as needed.

Ask a Question