Want a pond but what is the cost?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Construction costs vary so much, it's really hard to give an estimate there. I did everything myself and bought, not made, skimmers, filters etc. Even so, the store-bought parts were a small fraction of my total costs once I bought rock for the pond, landscaping, etc.

But the maintenance costs if you go with a water garden (plants, probably goldfish) can really be kept to just the electricity and water to replace evaporation.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have any fancy stuff built my own filter with a stock tank and lava rock ,no skimmer ,no need for one .Uv I got on ebay 30 dollars for 18 watt one from topddog seller .No difference uv's are all the same and bulbs made by only 2 companies I found out and sold under brand names for high dollar .Pumps mine are luguna and I have 2 of them and always use 2 pumps one goes out no worry 2900 gph runs on 75 watts even though it is supposed to use 100 watts and 2400 gph uses 60 watts even though it says 80 watts .On watts they are supposed to be used the lagunas always use less and the cleaning pumps and bigger hose helps lower electric rates .Hose is sump pump hose 10 dollars and have had same hose since 2007 .I am cheap but my pond water is clean and healthy and fish must be happy because 2 koi are over 2 foot long and 14 fish in 5000 gallons .Never over stock pond because fish will have babies .My electric bill for all electric house with heat pump is about 200 dollars a month or less .It depends on how much I am using my power tools .I never fall for the hype that you need high dollars to build or maintain a pond .My fish don't know how much I spent to build the home they live in they just eat and poop .
101_1339.JPG
101_1339.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
the initial cost is the only cost u need to worry ie long lasting too, if ur buying a liner , and pump , .. thats it , u can do rest of it by ur self , hardly any expense . beside that monthly cost wud be electricity which is very little like using a 30 watt bulb and u may buy food or make ur own thats cheap too . i think the only cost that is considerably large is innitial , rest its easy to maintain , u may need some pads or filter media to change after year or 2 . occasionally meds and testing tools . i think all these things r very cheap hardly wud cost few dollars yearly , i think keeping dozen fishes is easier and cheaper then keeping 1 cat or dog

for me the only cost was liner and pump plus electricity , rest i do DIY

Ask a Question