Want to keep my pond above 60F - Zone 6b

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by bmitchell486, Oct 11, 2016.

1. bmitchell486

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Utilize the basement location. Avoid the use of a heater if possible. On option would be to provide a small heater for the basement itself. If you can maintain a suitable ambient air temperature, the aquarium (tank) temperature will be similarly maintained.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 11, 2016
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Gotcha -- thanks! :)

bmitchell486, Oct 11, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. bmitchell486

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

We don't have basements either and many times we don't even have Winter!

Meyer Jordan, Oct 11, 2016
    Mmathis and bmitchell486 like this.
  4. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Thanks Jordan. My main 2 questions, in my first post, are

1 - will a heater work in a cold garage to keep water above 60 degrees
    2 - will my sump pump work in my basement if I use it for water change disposal

In my basement, the ambient are is in the 60's in the winter so I should be good there. Thanks!!!

(Sounding like basement is my best option, just hoping to get some confirmation of others in my area who have used a sump pump for water disposal during the winter.)

5. bmitchell486

Nepen

wow, 50% and 90% water change each week? I think that'll stress the fish out more than just let them be in the tank with higher Nitrate. With breeder you are probably maintain overcrowded tank but to do that much water change is too much imo. I think if you have grow light on and let the algae bloom, that will be better for the fish.

Nepen, Oct 11, 2016
  6. bmitchell486

Faebinder

I'm not sure why is everyone saying 100% that these fish cannot take the cold? My ranchus did GREAT outside in the cold in zone 6b. Even the tosakins.

It's all about how deep is the water and if you are aerating it IMO.

If you are going to keep the fish inside at 60-70 degree you will definitely need to do 90% weekly water changes. More frequent if the filter is not established.

Faebinder, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
  7. bmitchell486

Nepen

Just curious, why? I have my indoor tank at 70 degree, I do water change once every few months. BUT mine is not overcrowded. What about doing less water change but more often? Actually, how many fish in how many gallon are we talking about anyway.

Nepen, Oct 11, 2016
  8. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

I was told that tosai might have trouble. It's above ground, and is 24 inches deep. Have you had success with tosai? (Mine hatched in april 2016)

And yes. Their schedule is 50% on a tue or wed, and then I do 90% every saturday. I will keep this routine up throughout the winter (unless they're in cold water).

9. bmitchell486

Faebinder

Here is a picture of me fishing out my best ranchu in January to check on him. He had a white spot on his wen that turned out to be breeding equipment.

My pond was only 1.5 feet deep that time but I used a small tank heater to deice it.

Attached Files:

Faebinder, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
  10. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

6 ranchu, 4-5 inches, 110 stock tank with 13 gallon filter. It's not overstocked, in my opinion, due to my water change schedule. I must do frequent and large changes because of their diet.

11. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Wow, he looks great. May be a bit bigger than mine. My concerns were the age of my fish, as well as mine being above ground. I've heard from others that the sides can have trouble freezing, not just the top of the water.

My preference would be to keep them in 60-70 degree water all winter so I can continue feeding/growing them out.

12. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Also, @Faebinder you're the first account I'm seeing who has wintered over ranchu outside in a similar zone to mine with a de-icer. I'm glad to know it can be done. When they are nisai, I would like to winter them outside with a de-icer, and I'll just have to monitor the sides to make sure they don't freeze up too. I may put it in the ground by then... you never know.

13. bmitchell486

Nepen

oh ok, not over stock at all. You know your pond best :) That's up to you but I think it'll stress them out with that large water change so often. But if you've done it without effect then it's probably nothing to worry about.

Nepen, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
  14. bmitchell486

Faebinder

I dont know what you got in your indoor tank, but if its goldfish and its maxed out then water changes should be 90% weekly at least if the filter established and more if not. Doing less will sooner or later get the goldfish sick as the nitrates and dissolved organics pile up.

Faebinder, Oct 11, 2016
  15. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Yeah, I hear people who have success and failure with both -- large frequent water changes, and small infrequent/frequent changes. There's lots of right ways to make a pizza, right? :) But yes, this is working for my guys. I spent time with the breeder as well, and it's close to what he does. I have ways of mitigating significant water temperature differences, and they seem to be doing okay. I have yet to get a reading of nitrates over 5/ppm, and my ammonia/nitrite are always at 0. It gets full sun, so even with the frequent water changes, these guys get to enjoy some green water.

Your chu is SUPER cute too. How many do you keep?

16. bmitchell486

Faebinder

So that ranchu came to me 4.5 inches from Dandy Orandas and I tell you his fish are SOLID... never once gave me problems.... just like my other dandy oranda ranchus. The ranchu I got from an ebay user (whom I dont even know) came in ar 2.5 inches, lived under ice no problems and is now going into its second winter, it's now 4.5 inches... caught up in size in the summer... It was an ugly fish when i got it and now it's actually amazing... red head with a blue body with black-sanke spots. The lionhead I got from another ebay user is huge now (5.5 inches) and i got it at 3.5 inches did extremely well over winter and I even saw it slightly bigger in early spring.

If your fish go in healthy into the winter, you wont have a problem... if they do not, they will have problems. Thing is, there is no guarantee in the winter, you could lose any fish. Hence why people say take them inside for guarantee 100% nothing happens...

What I do is go check on them... if I think a fish is sick I will bring it in for the winter.

Faebinder, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
  17. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

I agree. Not to go on the attack -- like I said, there are many good methods. But unless your stocking level is significantly underwhelmed, a small change every few months is likely to lead to high nitrate levels and disease. When you feed, and they poop., it stays in the aquarium until it's removed. Even if you can't see it (it's in the filter) it's still there.

I would advise also experimenting with increasing the frequency of changes. You would want to do smaller percentages, maybe 10-20% each time, so as not to shock the fish. I recommend, regardless of stocking levels, that fancies in aquariums receive a minimum of 50% water changes weekly.

But again, not trying to go on the attack, just wanted to mention it.

18. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Wow, I'd LOVE to see pictures of your guys. I love the DO fish, and watch the auctions weekly. I have not purchased from them before. These ranchu are from a local breeder.

If you haven't seen them before, check out the ranchus that King Koi Goldfish and Coast Gem USA are importing. They don't have the strict quarantining methods that DO has, so you'll want to QT for a long time. But their prices are also lower and seem to have quality fish.

19. bmitchell486

Faebinder

Yeah I have one calico bubble eye and one apache oranda from Coast Gem USA. They have pretty fish. All my pictures are on my phone but I will try to upload them.

In the first picture you will see: the red tancho ranchu from DandyOrandas, the Apache Oranda from CoastGEMUSA, my only koi, two tricolored comets from DandyOrandas, 1 yellow telescope comet from DandyOrandas, red/white common from petsmart, red-white pom pom celestial from goldfishnet, and the rest are hard to tell in the picture. They are all chasing food.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Faebinder, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
  20. bmitchell486

Nepen

haha that's ok. My tank is not overcrowded. I have a few goldfish here and there, I used to have a few more but I moved them outside. I have my tank for about 5 years now I guess. At first I did weekly water change, but with the water testing I dont see any reason in doing so that frequently. I also stock my tank with lots of plant and they are doing great. No algae. It just works for me like this.

Nepen, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
    1. Advertisements