Want to keep my pond above 60F - Zone 6b

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by bmitchell486, Oct 11, 2016.

1. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Hey All,

I have a 110 tuff stuff above ground stocktank pond, in zone 6b. I've got 6 tosai ranchu in there, hatched april 2016, about 4-5 inches. I want to keep them in the 60's-70's during the winter so they can continue eating/growing.

I have two options:

1: Put it in my basement. Temp there will be around 65 all winter, I'd probably add a heater to put them at 70. With this option, I will need to siphon water into my sump. Has anyone ever done this before? Could this cause problems for my sump?

2: Put it in my garage. Temps there will be around 30, but can get into the teens on really cold nights. With this option, would an aquarium heater work, set to 65 degrees? I've been looking at marineland and ehiem 300-400 watt heaters. The manufacturer websites recommend using them to heat aquariums to only 15 degrees above the ambient room temp, but obviously the ambient temp would be much greater than that. I don't want to break the heater and have a problem. What is my best heater type option here? Has anyone had success with this?

I apologize for making another thread. I was reading through others, because I'm sure the same questions are asked multiple times. But everything I found was advice on helping a pond to not freeze solid, but I want to keep mine above 60 degrees.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

bmitchell486, Oct 11, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. bmitchell486

Nepen

#1. I dont know about sump pump. sorry.

Nepen, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. bmitchell486

sissy sissy

They will not survive out side in cold temp.s You can see that on you tube

sissy, Oct 11, 2016
    bmitchell486 likes this.
  4. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Yes, I agree. I do not want to winter them over outside with a de-icer. I want to either keep them in the garage, with a heater keeping the water temp above 60, or in my basement. I think the basement is the best option, but do not want to break my sump pump.

Looking for people who have siphoned into their sump to make sure it will be fine. And if not, then I'm looking for a heater brand that would be able to handle heating 110 gallons to 60-70 degrees in my cold garage all winter.

5. bmitchell486

sissy sissy

Are you talking about using your sump pump to change out the water.I used to use my sump pump in NJ to change the water in my fish tank .

sissy, Oct 11, 2016
  6. bmitchell486

Nepen

Why do you need to move all the water from the outside pond to the basement? you could just set it up with new water, bring some rocks/plants/ filter from the old pond to help restart the bio filtration should be enough. the amount of bacteria in water is not a lot, they live on surface of things.

Nepen, Oct 11, 2016
    barryian likes this.
  7. bmitchell486

sissy sissy

Those kind of fish cannot take cold

sissy, Oct 11, 2016
  8. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Yes. I am a new homeowner, so am unsure of how it works. There is essentially a hole in my basement floor, and there is a sump pump in there. Can I just siphon the water from my pond into that hole, and the sump pump will pump it away?

9. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

I will drain the pond, and put it into my basement. I will refill with a hose from my sink. But I must continue to do weekly water changes -- I cannot just fill it and leave it all winter, since they will continue eating/pooping. Even though I will continue to run their filter and the bacteria on my media will keep ammonia down, I will have to do water changes as well.

10. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Yep. This is why I am asking for advice on keeping the water above 60 in 2 locations. I am not considering keeping them outside with a de-icer.

11. bmitchell486

sissy sissy

You can make a filter with a crate and lava rock and keep it in the stock tank .Anything like that that you can pull it out and clean it and put it back in .I use this in my pond in the winter .

Attached Files:

sissy, Oct 11, 2016
    JBailey likes this.
  12. bmitchell486

sissy sissy

I put the pump inside the crate or flower pot on the lava rock and the top coming out to move and aerate the water

sissy, Oct 11, 2016
  13. bmitchell486

Ruben Miranda I am so confused

Hello
    I would not go with the garage, as the air temp with be to low and the heaters will not be able to keep it at temp.

The basement is your best bet.
    Don't know how far away your basement is from your pond.
    But can you get a clean barrow put it in basement and run a hose from the pond to barrow pump pond water to barrow as much as possible.
    Move fish and filter or pump to circulate water to barrow.
    Drain the rest of the pond move it and filter to the basement set up pond with about half water get it running pump a little more water from barrow to pond.
    Let it run a hour or so make sure temp is close to the same as barrow (to avoid shock) and them move fish over to pond with the rest of water from barrow. Slowly bring the temp up to your preference.
    Over the next few days keep a eye on ammonia and nitrates as.you will get a small cycle. And do water,change as needed.
    You can use the sump pump to drain the water out of the basement.
    That is more or less what it is there for if your basement floods the pump puses the water out.

Ruben

Ruben Miranda, Oct 11, 2016
    Mmathis and sissy like this.
  14. bmitchell486

sissy sissy

get a thermometer for the tank also any kind will work for now .Even the ones at the dollar store .I use furniture dolly I built to roll my indoor stock tank .This way I can move it around and get a led light for some daylight if no windows .I put plywood on top of my dolly that was shaped to it and stapled old carpet to it .Made it easy to roll out of the basement and back into the basement for winter .You can also buy furniture dolly's but you may need to buy 2 of them

sissy, Oct 11, 2016
  15. bmitchell486

Nepen

I agree that you need to do water change but you dont need to do water change every week once the pond is establish.

You can get a cheap fountain pump and connect it to the hose for water change. I think your sump will be fine. I just never use it.

Nepen, Oct 11, 2016
  16. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Cool. Yeah, these guys are just 4-5 inch ranchu, so I will just transport them in a 5 gallon bucket. It's much easier than transporting koi!

They're used to 90% water changes, so they'll be fine in new water. I'll float them in a bag for about 20 minutes before dropping them into the new pond water. The cold water from my sink is roughly the same temperature as their water outside right now, so I think they'll acclimate just fine with floating for 20 minutes.

I shouldn't have a cycle bump, as it is completely cycled and I complete regular maintenance on my filter monthly anyways. I'll just do a normal service to my filter and move it with the pond. It's only a 110 gallon size stocktank, so I can easily carry it.

My main questions are if there is a heater that would work in my garage, or if the sump could handle water changes.

Have you personally pumped water from an aquarium/pond into your sump pump before? Just wanting to make sure I won't break my house :)

17. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Cool. And yeah, I'm growing these guys out, feeding high quality food/bloodworms 3-4 times per day. Even though I have a 13 gallon filter with a 620 gph pump, I want to keep their water pristine for growth. I am raising them essentially as indoor aquarium fish are raised, not not like koi.

I attended a breeder social recently, and was talking with some pro's who raise top view ranchu. Even though my water is deeper than traditional Japanese top view ranchu conditions, they recommended that I do one 50% and one 90% water change weekly.

I'm hearing that my sump pump should work just fine. I hope so!

18. bmitchell486

Mmathis TurtleMommy

If you're asking about a heater to place in the tank, to keep the water at 60, in a 30 degree garage..... I doubt it. I think there is some chemistry or physics involved with the heat transfer process. And the cost of running it. And I would be afraid I'd cook the fish. Though I did read somewhere once where someone heated their pond by running the water through a conduit system connected to a furnace. But that still involves the knowledge for getting it just right.

Maybe @Meyer Jordan can help out on this one.

If you're asking if a sump pump will discharge the old water out of the basement when you do water changes...... It should as that's what they are made for, right? If you're concerned, is there a sink in the basement? If so, just put a small pump in the tank and run the hose to the sink. How were you going to get the water out of the tank in the first place?

I apologize for sounding grumpy -- not feeling well today.....

Mmathis, Oct 11, 2016
    Meyer Jordan and bmitchell486 like this.
  19. bmitchell486

bmitchell486

Thanks for the help! You don't sound grumpy at all :) I hope you get to feeling better!

Okay, I will not put them in the garage. I was exploring the options with heaters, sounds like it will not work.

What I would prefer to do is keep them in the basement, but was worried about the sump pump. I will just use my siphon hose to siphon water from pond into sump area. I was asking if others have done this because yes, in theory this will work because that is the function of a sump pump. However, has anyone tried it during winter in my zone? Could my pipes freeze, and the sump couldn't pump the water? During deep freezes, there is no natural running water (bc everything is frozen) so my sump would not normally run, and I'd have no idea if it's normal for those pipes to freeze up.

I do not have a sink in my basement. There are 2 paths for water to get in -- hose attached to my kitchen sink upstairs, or a bucket (ew). There are 2 ways for water to get out -- siphon to sump/pump, or bucket (ew).

Thanks for the advice!

Mmathis likes this.
  20. bmitchell486

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@bmitchell486 As much as I would like to advise regarding basements & sump pumps.....keep in mind, where I live, we don't have basements -- I wish :(

Mmathis, Oct 11, 2016
    1. Advertisements