Wanted: Bubbles in a pond

Reaction score
Some of you know that I have pond that's about 2400Gal in New Mexico.
It's about 15 feet long and 4-5 feet wide.
I have two depths: 4.5' and 3.5'.
I have a waterfall on the shallow side and a skimmer on the deep side.
Problem is that I don't have much circulation on the deep side of the pond and thus murky water.

I want to add few air stones to add some much needed circulation and obviously O2.
The O2 will also be running in winter to help with ice buildup.

What do you recommend in size (of air pump) and number of stones/balls/whatever? Looking for something that will last a while and is energy efficient.

If you've found good source with decent prices, please include it and save me some research time.

Pond.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was gonna buy one of these awhile back for my 2500 gal pond but someone was nice enough to give me an air pump so I didn't make this purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Danner-04520-1700CUIN-AP-20-Diffuser/dp/B001D0Y9OE?tag=duckduckgo-d-20
If you look down on the rt side of the page there is an ad for one for $84.09 w/ free shipping. I think it comes w/ the diffuser but not any tubing.They have larger air pumps also for more. Here are the specs for pond sizes: http://www.underwaterwarehouse.com/Pondmaster-Air-Pumps/Pondmaster-Air-Pump-AP-60-p-100.html

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I looked at the calculator you linked and it shows that I would need the #40.
Do you know if the calcs are based on air pump as the only source of water/air movement?
I'm wondering if since I do have a waterfall, if I need the #40, or if #20 would be fufficent.

Also, none of those are adjustable output, right? My thought is that during winter months I won't need as much air, and if I could dial back the pump, not only will it last longer and use less power (AP40=~$4.50 per month 24/7, so not much). I know I can open one of the split ports, but that's just a waste of air :)- and electricity.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think you can dial back the air. All you could do would be like you said, bleed it off. There might be another brand out there that you can do that w/ but I don't know which ones would be a good kind to get. You could prolly get away w/ the #20 but just my guess. I still might get one of those #40 ones myself as the fish love the bubbles and in winter here the bubbles help keep open a hole in any ice that forms over my pond so the more bubbles the merrier! Love those bubbles!

Reaction score
The last air pump I bought had 2 outputs and it came with tiny plastic valves. It took me a minute to figure it out, but I had to cut a short pice of tube and put the valve on the one end and my air stone on the other. If I needed less, which I don't, I could just open up the valve. This is the biggest pump walmart sells, not sure the brand, probably aquatech.

Ask a Question