Water Changes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I let plants and bacteria keep the water healthy.
Large water changes can cause fish stress, which makes them more susceptible to disease and parasites.
Trickle water changes are not possible during the winter and I like a stable system, so no water changes for my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder why some koi are plant destroyers and others aren't? We have a mix of koi and goldfish and nobody bothers any of the plants. I do have trouble with big frogs digging around in small marginals, but my fish are all well mannered.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mucky, Meyer has a great looking pond, he built it with wet lands to help filtration. I don't recall where the pictures are.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It occurred to me Meyer after reading this post that I don't recall ever seeing you post any pictures of your pond? Perhaps you have and I just missed it? Could you refer me to a thread?

I posted several photos in my early days as a member of this forum. I tried looking through my early posts to find them but for some reason these early posts are not available or I don't know how to access them.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wonder why some koi are plant destroyers and others aren't? We have a mix of koi and goldfish and nobody bothers any of the plants. I do have trouble with big frogs digging around in small marginals, but my fish are all well mannered.

Your pond has a gravel bottom where their instinctive 'rooting around' is spread out and not concentrated around a few pots.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
So dieselplower was banned huh? Was it something I said again? I know he had some differences with me.
Seems like I have a knack for pushing people's buttons the right way to cause them to post comments that get them banned.
If you like it here you all better stay on my good side. ;) lol

Thanks for posting that thread Mitch, I guess you can stay. Nice pond Meyers. You guys are safe for the time being. :rolleyes:

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So dieselplower was banned huh? Was it something I said again? I know he had some differences with me.
Seems like I have a knack for pushing people's buttons the right way to cause them to post comments that get them banned.
If you like it here you all better stay on my good side. ;) lol

Thanks for posting that thread Mitch, I guess you can stay. Nice pond Meyers. You guys are safe for the time being. :rolleyes:
You're so diabolical, Mucky. :ROFLMAO: I miss the days when waterbug pushed so many buttons.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice pond @Meyer Jordan . I am glad @MitchM posted that thread because I appreciate the explanations you gave in it. When you said the pond was under those large trees the first thing I thought of was, 'how do you net all of that water', and then you explained you let the leaves drop in the stream and decompose. You are right. Exactly what happens in nature. I think your set up explains a lot. You have provided a lot of area to mimic nature. I am limited in space and can not provide a truly 'natural' environment, explaining why I have to do more maintenance on my pond.

Ask a Question