Water Changes

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am limited in space and can not provide a truly 'natural' environment, explaining why I have to do more maintenance on my pond.

That is really the underlying point in this discussion. Pondkeepers over the years have been led to believe through the dissemination of questionable information, much of it originating with manufacturers, that a certain level of maintenance (I call it interference) is required on all ponds, large or small. This claim is an absolute falsehood designed to sell product.. The replication of natural environs and processes should be the prime goal ultimately striving for the highest possible diversity in flora and fauna that your water feature will support. Granted that this is easier to accomplish as the size of the water feature increases, but if all is kept proportional any life supporting water feature will require only minimal maintenance. Proportional Diversity is the key.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too, don't have a lot of room. When we expanded our pond, we put in a stone patio around it....so we're "land locked" so to speak!! My pond maintenance has decreased with the addition of a shower filter :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so pretty much you are saying if I can talk the hubby into a BIG pond I won't need to do any more maintenance as far as water quality goes? :cool:

Now I have to ask this question.... Did someone mention a gravel or rock bottom in their pond? You can't mean to tell me that there is no build up of toxic gunk on the bottom of a pond with a rock bottom.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been following this thread somewhat. The comments on nitrate levels caught my attention. I have 2 ponds and the nitrates in pond #2 are always 40-80. This is my 10x10x5 pond with no plants except the window boxes with water pumped thru them. Makes sense to me now. 2 150 gallon stock tank filters on that pond but still high nitrates. Next year planning on trying to hand milk crates in corners with plants in them.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Thanks MitchM. It was Deiselplower who invited me to join this forum and then proceeded to get himself 'kicked off'.
Wow, nice pond. I can't believe you didn't post in the pond decorations, you have some nice stuff.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
You're so diabolical, Mucky. :ROFLMAO: I miss the days when waterbug pushed so many buttons.
Those two were banned before I got here, but I've read a lot of their posts. Go back and read Deiselpowers first post and then some of his last. I'm not sure what the problem was with waterbug.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Now I have to ask this question.... Did someone mention a gravel or rock bottom in their pond? You can't mean to tell me that there is no build up of toxic gunk on the bottom of a pond with a rock bottom.

I guess you maybe have to see it to believe it? We have a completely rocked pond (large boulders line the sides) and the bottom is covered in a layer (shallow shallow shallow!) of gravel. Like so shallow you can swish your foot once or twice and see liner. When I get in the pond (getting in one last time this weekend - gonna be a bit chilly!) I make a point of kicking things around a bit. I will occasionally stir up a bit of silt, but often there is absolutely nothing. And certainly no "toxic gunk".

I think I posted this picture once before when this topic came up - here's a shot from the side of my pond looking straight down. You can clearly see the gravel at the bottom. This is my "step down" spot - the shelf at the bottom left is about 12 inches deep - at the center of the photo it's just over three feet deep.

IMG_2408.JPG

Reaction score
I do water changes too. I'm not sure why. I feel like it freshens the water. I don't know. I live on a hot island, so my well water and my pond water is the same temp pretty much and the same PH. So I just do it. As you may have read I've fallen asleep once or twice and woken up to an almost empty pond when I was doing these changes/back wash on filters, with no noticeable ill effects on the fish. I can also see why you don't need to change it, as I hardly ever do any more and it works fine. I think it was Dave 54 that mentioned water changes and I followed on from that.

I have koi (wayyy too many) and for whatever reason they leave my many plants alone(isn't that weird) - but not floating plants - they eat those. I don't have a rocked bottom, but I wish I did. I just love that look @Lisak1

I've gone through periods of keeping the bottom spotless and periods of I'm tired and wish I had a winter (no cleaning). My pond has turned green and then cleared itself up. Its currently clear and I've managed to chill out with the changes and accept nature.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like you can't go that wrong with either choice.

I'm a bit bummed about Diesel and waterbug ..... but I guess some of their arguments were a bit much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Lisak1 First off your pond looks beautiful with the rocks, thank you for sharing the photo.

I'm still not convinced that using gravel is healthy to do in a small garden pond like mine. Part of the reason I say this is because I know from having gravel in some of my aquariums what it looks like if you start to disturb the gravel or when you vacuum it how much gunk is pulled up into the water syphon. I don't even use gravel in my fancy goldfish tanks due to the crud that builds up. I feel the gravel looks better but I don't like my fish being exposed to the toxins that can build up especially as they root around in the gravel looking for food. Some of my betta tanks are bare bottom as well but that is more for ease of water changes.

As for not changing water and using rocks in the bottom of the pond I do understand that it can be done but certainly not all ponds are set up to handle this type of set up. I'm starting to see how having a bog seems to be a great addition to a pond to keep it healthy.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 First off your pond looks beautiful with the rocks, thank you for sharing the photo.

I'm still not convinced that using gravel is healthy to do in a small garden pond like mine. Part of the reason I say this is because I know from having gravel in some of my aquariums what it looks like if you start to disturb the gravel or when you vacuum it how much gunk is pulled up into the water syphon. I don't even use gravel in my fancy goldfish tanks due to the crud that builds up. I feel the gravel looks better but I don't like my fish being exposed to the toxins that can build up especially as they root around in the gravel looking for food. Some of my betta tanks are bare bottom as well but that is more for ease of water changes.

As for not changing water and using rocks in the bottom of the pond I do understand that it can be done but certainly not all ponds are set up to handle this type of set up. I'm starting to see how having a bog seems to be a great addition to a pond to keep it healthy.

Remind us of the size of your pond and the flow rate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is 500 gallons, 3 feet deep. Matala Biosteps 10 filter with Danner 950 GPH pump and small waterfall.

@MitchM I guess I didn't remember it or realize you had a smaller NPT. I just remember some of your tanks are bigger than my pond.

Ask a Question