Water Clear But Algae Still Forms

Reaction score
We have a strong filtration system including UV lights.
Our water is crystal clear but...
Algae keeps forming.
It sticks to the liner, plants, etc.
I'll vacumm it out, but the next day it fills right in again.
Not tested the water (wouldn't know what to look for).
Any thoughts on killing/removing algae that forms in crystal clear water.
Pix are attached.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 348
Reaction score
2 questions

1 Is there really anything wrong with algae like that?

2 Could explain more about the peroxide?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have never used it but Dodad and others have.

I personally remove the algae by hand daily when I visit my Koi. The fish love it, it provides nourishment and protection to especially fry and I find that my large koi like to eat it as well.

So I don't treat it. I just remove the excess. This only happens in the spring and in a few months it goes away.

My water is always clear.

Reaction score
If hydrogen peroxide kills algae, will the dead algae be removed by the filter?
If not, does dead algae pose a risk to the fish?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I guess that depends on your filter and circulation. When it decomposes, which it will anyway in time, your water will have muck. Either way, you want to remove it.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I have never used it but Dodad and others have.

I personally remove the algae by hand daily when I visit my Koi. The fish love it, it provides nourishment and protection to especially fry and I find that my large koi like to eat it as well.

So I don't treat it. I jsut remove the excess. This only happens in the spring and in a few months it goes away.

My water is always clear.

I am with DrDave on this one. The fish love to eat it. It provides a hiding place until the rest of the plants begin to grow. It makes for a great "breeding mop" and then the fry hide in it, and eat it. If you do not let it get out of control, it just looks natural. After the rest of the plants start sucking up the nutrients and the floating plants block the sun; no more algae. In the meantime I use a toilet bowl brush, the round type, attached to a longer handle and just roll up the excess algae, do not even have to bend over.

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
Hey Dave, How did your fish do over the winter? I wound up losing one of my larger ones but the rest did fine. Looking forward to a full season this year. I've already bought 4 new Koi and it's only the beginning of May! Gonna need a bigger pond I think.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My fish did well over the winter. No losses and they are all active. I actually added a few fish that I rescued.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
If your liner is not covered with rocks etc....then your going to have that problem .As the liner absorbs the sun it heats up ,therefore heating up the water,and well string algae thrives in hot water and sun,also it takes vital oxygen from the fish.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
also a less expensive option to manage algae is barley straw, long known for being a safe and effective pond algae control. I recommend having some barley straw in the pond all the time as a helpful algae killer,and your PH should stay
@6.5 or lower to reduce growth of new algae

Ask a Question