sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh yes and it is out of control .I had to dig up bunch's of banana roots and they are growing in the buckets .I have given 15 away so far .Even JW had to move her banana plants .The elephant ears and cannas are taking over also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@sissy - Wow!!!!! I hope the summer heat perks mine up -- but I can't imagine them looking as great as yours!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is the primary reason that Water Hyacinth is not considered invasive and banned in Northern latitude states......it is basically a tropical plant and will not thrive (or survive) in cold weather. There is no chance of this plant choking out waterways as it does in warmer climates. Same is true of Water Lettuce.
Bingo. That's why our Seattle area hyacinths don't really take off until about July, when local temps have risen considerably.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Last summer here:
IMG_3827.JPG
IMG_3917.JPG
The roots of the starts are anchored by river cobble:
IMG_3644.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My pH is also 8. My cattails are growing very well, but my hyacinth looks dreadful. My Anacharis is starting to look better. I think one reason is because I don't have enough nutrients built up in the water yet, and the guy at the nursery told me the hyacinth will not do much until the weather is warmer.

I was writing this while cas was posting. I clipped Meyer's remarks. Good to know.

I live in PA too and my experience last year. Hyacinths really like warm weather. May is just not warm enough. Your hyacinths will start kicking well in July and in September they will overwhelm the pond.

Unlike water lettuce, they do not need a lot of sun.

The only reason I no longer use Hyacinths is that they attract mosquitoes.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wonder why they attract mosquitoes?
Large dense mats of Water Hyacinth can cover lakes and other waterways in warm geographic areas - we're talking acres of plants here, people. This dense barrier impedes water circulation and subsurface photosynthesis. This scenario produces an ideal mosquito breeding habitat. A few plants floating in your backyard pond shouldn't produce a mosquito problem, given sufficient water circulation and a few hungry fish.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oddly enough I think it's banned in Wisconsin. Am I right @JBtheExplorer ?
Another curiosity: It's legal to buy and sell in your state of Illinois Lisa, but not in the city of Chicago. My in-laws in Wheaton can buy it but it's prohibited in the Chicago city limits. If mild Seattle winters can kill it off, I'm sure your cold winters would.

In Washington State it's considered a "non-native invasive nuisance" species. Commercial sale is allowed but it's illegal to place in public waterways.

Last edited:

Ask a Question