Water in pond has turned green!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don’t know if this is helpful; I purchased an aquarium air pump which is in the garage and ran the tubing through PVC pipe underground to the pond. More work but saved on cost not having to purchase an outdoor rated diffuser as well as being concerned about flooding in the area near the pond and electricity. I bought the tubing on the cheap at Lowe’s and ran a spare line in case it was ever needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Algae doesn't need much to grow.. it can do a lot with very little. Just one duck poop would probably provide enough nutrients to green up 10 ponds. I've seen algae grow in tapwater that sat in a clean container for too long..

A UVC filter doesn't cost much, and will get rid of green water right away. I'm a big fan of them, as they let me skip the weeks of murky water I used to get each spring while the pond finds its balance again.

However, that won't do anything for the more complex forms of algae that will come later. For that, you'll probably want some plants - ideally, a large amount of both water and land plants. The idea is to have enough plants that they suck out every last trace of nitrate + phosphate before any algae can claim it.

This.

All these people with questions about green water are hopefully people that haven’t had ponds up and running for very long. Time is the biggest fixer of these problems.

I have no gizmos, gadgets, air pumps, UV sterilizers, just a pump that goes into a big ol tote filled with biological filtration and out into several small water falls. Water is crystal clear. I also I have TONS of plants that don’t even give algae a chance. And this pond is under full on sun from 10am until sunset in southern VA. It took a couple of seasons to get it that way though.

It’s all about balance. Let the ponds mature. Less fuss the better.

Ask a Question