Best water plants for zone 6?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What are some of the best "nutrients consuming" plant I could put in my pond?
I currently have: Black Taro, water Marigold, water Hyacinth, Cannas, umbrella Palm and another plant with blueish flowers I don't know the name of.
I used to have water irises but I didn't like all the dead leaves cleaning early in the season, and I had water Lilly but I'm not sure with the new depth (over 4') I can still have the nice ones

Are there any other plants that would do good in zone 6, other than those mentioned above?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I always like to have some kind of rushes or reeds - I love the upright growth and they put out a tremendous root system. I don't remember the names of all of mine, but I have some that are blue-stemmed, some that are variegated and some that are just lovely green. And I love irises - not sure why you feel they have more dead leaves to clean than any other pond plant, other than they can grow large.

Is your pond 4 feet deep all around? If so, you could still have water lilies - some people use a crate turned upside down to raise the level of the pot to where the plant will be happier. Just look for the varieties that enjoy deeper water. I think water lilies are a must in a pond! They are just too pretty to pass up, plus they provide great cover for your fish. And there aren't many things that can grow IN the pond - if you don't have lilies or lotuses you will have only marginals or floaters to choose from.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I always like to have some kind of rushes or reeds - I love the upright growth and they put out a tremendous root system. I don't remember the names of all of mine, but I have some that are blue-stemmed, some that are variegated and some that are just lovely green. And I love irises - not sure why you feel they have more dead leaves to clean than any other pond plant, other than they can grow large.

Is your pond 4 feet deep all around? If so, you could still have water lilies - some people use a crate turned upside down to raise the level of the pot to where the plant will be happier. Just look for the varieties that enjoy deeper water. I think water lilies are a must in a pond! They are just too pretty to pass up, plus they provide great cover for your fish. And there aren't many things that can grow IN the pond - if you don't have lilies or lotuses you will have only marginals or floaters to choose from.

Only the main part of the pond is over 4' deep, but that's not the only thing , When I hired contractors to enlarge the pond last year, they raised the water level so high that now the mesh (you see in my Avatar) that I use to cover the pond, is barely above water level, I don't think water Lilies would do good there
The upper section , where I keep the plants is about 1' deep, I'm assuming that's way too shallow for water Lilies?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sedges are great for sucking up nutrients and look very nice also. Many types to choose from. I like my variegated one on the left by the gator. It's in a pedestal pot on a shelf down about 18".

IMG_6571.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sedges are great for sucking up nutrients and look very nice also. Many types to choose from. I like my variegated one on the left by the gator. It's in a pedestal pot on a shelf down about 18".

View attachment 102040
Your pond looks awesome!
By "Sedges" you mean ornamental grasses? I've used them and loved them, I just didn't know given the limited space if they were the best choice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Attachments

• 20170715_170351.jpg
    20170715_170351.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 20170715_170334.jpg
    20170715_170334.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 20170715_170410.jpg
    20170715_170410.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 393
  • 20170715_170607.jpg
    20170715_170607.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know window boxes can be a pain to keep watered, but they really raise the cuteness factor

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You make a good team !
I know window boxes can be a pain to keep watered, but they really raise the cuteness factor
We sure do make a good team, you should see the chicken coop we are building!..again my design (other than ventilation) and his "power tool" abilities :)
I water my window boxes (4 of them) from inside the house once a day, or even less if it rains

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

Ask a Question