Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer I’m not sure that is a “hosta,” but if anyone can ID it

It's not a mystery plant, it's a hosta. Here it is flowering in 2016. Did great in full sun, I assume due to the wet conditions. Trying to make my bog 100% native so I had to destroy it.

IMG_2006.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hostas would be GREAT in with my turtles, because of how much cover they provide (turts like to hide), but I have too much direct sun in their habitat. They (hostas) might do well in a bog setting though, as I have noticed that some more shade-tolerant plants do tolerate more sun if kept constantly moist.

Try Sensitive Ferns (Onoclea sensibilis)! They're another plant that does good in sun if it wet conditions, and native!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Neat! Thanks! I LOVE ferns! How big do they grow and are they one of the “invasive” type ferns? Well, guess I can look that up. (Had something growing along side of the house when we bought the house — it was a native fern, but a little too agressive in its growth habits. Not sure what it was called, but “southern fern” sounds familiar). One of the issues I have with my “turtle bog” is that it is exposed, and the turts don’t have a lot of cover other than the bog plants I have there now. I think they might appreciate something like that!

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=l300

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I haven’t seen many threads focused on plants in the pond. I’m learning as I go with mine. So what do you have? And what have you tried?
I was given some bog iris, and a lilly last year, both are doing good. They didn’t do much but grow last year, winter and my ignorance killed off a lot of the iris, but one good clump is getting ready to bloom this year. I also bought a Cherokee lilly, and it’s starting to put out little leaves. And I think I’ll add some pothos cuttings to pull nutrients, add shade, give fish places to hide. I’m very interested in finding plants that will do well in my pond, so let’s share what we’ve learned!
I've tried so many plants I don't even remember the names of a lot of them...and that means those didn't work out for me, some turned out to be too invasive (mint ouch) others trapped fish eggs (don't want fry) etc
Now I have a few I always have like: Water Marigold, Purple Iris (tried the yellow but were too invasive) my very favorite Black Taro, Canna Lily, Water Hyacinth, and umbrella Palm

I'd love to try new ones, but don't know what, I fear introducing another nightmare like the Mint that took me 6-7 yrs to fully eradicate
smpullveggy.gif

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gemma I know what you mean about MINT! I have some in my turtle habitat — it’s great for them because it grows fast and gets very full (plus it’s edible so offers them forage). BUT! I had to yank it last year as it was literally taking over (and I’m still on “mint patrol” — baby mints popping up everywhere)! Great for the turtles (they love places to hide), but I couldn’t stand it. I am letting some grow in a couple of areas, but plan to keep it contained! It’s OK as long as I don’t let it go free-range! I had some chocolate mint at one time, as well — that was the worst of all! Had even planted some of the chocolate as a marginal around the pond — uh, uh — NEVER AGAIN! I’ve never had the kind specifically called “aquatic mint.” But I do have a few sprigs from whatever was invading the turtle habitat growing among the rocks as a marginal. I’m keeping a close eye on it. So far it seems to be behaving so will give it a chance. It does have lovely purple flowers in late summer!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma I know what you mean about MINT! I have some in my turtle habitat — it’s great for them because it grows fast and gets very full (plus it’s edible so offers them forage). BUT! I had to yank it last year as it was literally taking over (and I’m still on “mint patrol” — baby mints popping up everywhere)! Great for the turtles (they love places to hide), but I couldn’t stand it. I am letting some grow in a couple of areas, but plan to keep it contained! It’s OK as long as I don’t let it go free-range! I had some chocolate mint at one time, as well — that was the worst of all! Had even planted some of the chocolate as a marginal around the pond — uh, uh — NEVER AGAIN! I’ve never had the kind specifically called “aquatic mint.” But I do have a few sprigs from whatever was invading the turtle habitat growing among the rocks as a marginal. I’m keeping a close eye on it. So far it seems to be behaving so will give it a chance. It does have lovely purple flowers in late summer!
I had no idea there were different kinds of Mint till I read this thread. I got mine cause it smells good but I just couldn't get rid of it. I had to take apart my Marigold and Irises because the Mint was growing all twisted up in the same pot, not to mention everywhere else
smstress.gif

I wanted to try creeping Jenny but I fear invasion, and there was another plant that I don't recall the name but had pretty purple spikes and it was great the first year, then the second year I noticed babies popping out elsewhere in the pond, by the third year I realized it was traveling behind the stones and it had taken over everywhere! The roots were very thick, we had to take down all the stones to finally get rid of that one...any idea what plant it might have been, so I don't accidentally buy it again?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gemma Creeping Jenny is actually a very nice little plant! If it does get invasive/agressive, it’s the kind that is so easy to pull up — though I’ve never had a problem with it. The roots tend to be shallow and don’t “grab on for dear life” the way mint does. I don’t mind plants like that, and I’ll often ask people if an invasive is “easy to control.” I don’t mind “invasive” as long as it minds its manners. Mint has no concept of manners!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
as @Mmathis said creepings are not invasive and roots are shallow and easy to pull they do die back in winter time but come right back i have 2 atm for 3 years now hasn't gotten to much bigger each year wil be getting more this year along with some corkscrew rush as well

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
as @Gemma said creepings are not invasive and roots are shallow and easy to pull they do die back in winter time but come right back i have 2 atm for 3 years now hasn't gotten to much bigger each year wil be getting more this year along with some corkscrew rush as well
Angel, that was me :rolleyes:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I actually want mint for my front circle. I hope it can out compete other plants I dont want. I’m going for a wide variety of mints, including cat mint! Watch my cats get high out there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
as @Mmathis said creepings are not invasive and roots are shallow and easy to pull they do die back in winter time but come right back i have 2 atm for 3 years now hasn't gotten to much bigger each year wil be getting more this year along with some corkscrew rush as well

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I actually want mint for my front circle. I hope it can out compete other plants I dont want. I’m going for a wide variety of mints, including cat mint! Watch my cats get high out there!
If you want mint, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with growing it, especially if you don’t mind its invasive-ness! It’s a good plant to put in a confined area. I’ve never grown catnip — too afraid of attracting the neighborhood cats! Mine are all indoor cats and their catnip is store-bought. Let us know how this works out for you and how your kitties like the home-grown stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My yellow iris! And the Cherokee lilly has 5 tiny leaves, so it’s doing well. Ignore my fish, the males are trying to get a female to spawn

Attachments

• C31B3F91-CB2D-40D1-B033-5D6300DE26F7.jpeg
    C31B3F91-CB2D-40D1-B033-5D6300DE26F7.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 127
  • 58576E62-FFAE-4B5C-B659-52E0D5654054.jpeg
    58576E62-FFAE-4B5C-B659-52E0D5654054.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 134

Ask a Question