Water plants

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Good day is there anyone who can help me with floating plants for my ponds I'm in Pretoria South Africa

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

My best thought would be to go to some pond stores see what sort of plants are over there for ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Christo! Your pond is beautiful. You might check your local laws to see what is legal to keep in a pond. Do you have water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) available? Water lettuce is an excellent floating plant. So is water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes). Both are good choices.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The last time or so that you posted, you had some fish that looked pretty bad. There we’re no follow-up posts, so just wondering if you ever found out the problem and/or got that under control.

Plants are going to depend on what is available and legal where you live. How many ponds do you have and are they natural ponds or manmade ponds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't forget the little floaters: Duckweed (Lemna, Spirodela, Wolffia, and relatives), Duck-fern (Azolla spp.), Eggbeater Fern (Salvinia spp). etc. If you want to know why it is called 'Eggbeater Fern', take a look at the leaf trichomes with a hand lens.

Ask a Question