Water Testing

BBK

Reaction score
D&RW said:
No nitrites or nitrates, but the pH is 6.4 and the alkalinity is way low. Water reads as very soft. Tested it out of the tap--same pH. Bought a phosphate tester today and have between 0-50ppm. Fish are all goldfish right now, but I'm thinking about easing into KOI. I'm going to do a bit more reading first, but I'm concerned about that alkalinity and pH.

You have no nitrates? Thats almost unheard of in fish keeping. Your tap should have at least 10-20

Reaction score
Well It been running for just over a year now, but only the last 3 to 4 months the water become like a brown colour...

If you look at the Picture u will see what i mean

View attachment 977

Attachments

• Pond 13-7-09.jpg
    Pond 13-7-09.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 371

BBK

Reaction score
Because if your nitrites are at 40 (ridiculously high), then your ammonia is probably high also. High ammonia poisons fish.

Reaction score
hmmmm ok, so what would you say the best thing to do? Do a Part Water change, or setup a temp tank or pond and redo mine?

BBK

Reaction score
The first thing would be to get an ammonia test. Get a liquid one, they run about $4 -$5 at the pet store. Test for ammonia and no2 again, do a water change, and test again.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm thinking an immediate 50% water change. Wait a few days and do it again. Do not disturb the bottom until you get it lower, then if you want to do some deep cleaning once it is lower, that will help.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the Feedback, At the moment, while its dry and warm here in the UK lol, Im doing a 50% Water Change... I leave it a few days and i do another test, then a few days after that i do a Ammonia Test or Big Test cause ive ordered one

Reaction score
I did a water test with my Test Sticks to morning, the Results i got are

GH 30
KH 0
PH 6.0
NO2 0
NO3 20

i just have to wait now for my Ammonia Test kit...

Reaction score
Thanks, i talking to a Local Pond and Koi Dealer where i live and told him the Results, he said if i do another 50% Water Change in another Week, it should bring my PH up more

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i might suggest that when you get your ph. in an acceptable range.. drop a old nylon stocking full of crushed oyster shell in your filter or area of high water movement. it is a buffer and will help lock in your ph and keep it stable.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for that.... well i got myself a 7000 lph pump in the shed doing nothing at the moment, i normally use it for emptyin the Pond when i do a Water Change. What im planning on doing is getting a Bigger Filter and run it along side the filter im using at the moment....

Plus im gonna put one of theses over my pond next week to cut out on the Sun light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triangle-Sun-...ms=65:2|66:2|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Ask a Question