Waterfall Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I have a 500-600 gallon pond. Has a two channel waterfall. Long story short when the waterfall is off the water level does not move. When waterfall is on water level slowly lowers everyday. I did a thick coat of hydraulic cement on both channels coating the sides as well. Studied how the water flowed to see if any was splashing out etc. Water flow seemed to be contained in the waterfall channels. I did notice, however, the front face of the concrete foundation slab that waterfall sits on the right side appear to be wet while the left is dry. So studied the right side and I just can't figure out where the water could be escaping. Doesn't seem that the right channels water is splashing up hitting the front of the foundation slab causing it to appear wet. I cannot take the waterfall apart without completely destroying it. I don't know if there's an easy fix or what. I don't mind filling the pond back up to level every week but I don't want to keep disturbing the ponds chemical balance etc. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have a very similar problem. Water level is fine unless my skimmer and waterfall are going. My hose from the skimmer to the waterfall is all contained within the liner. No water is splashing out. I think the problem might be that as the water falls out over the lip of the falls that somehow it is getting behind the liner. I plan to lower the level of the pond this summer enough to take all the rocks away from the front of the falls and see what is going on back there. Ugh! Lots of work and I hate to disrupt my balanced ecosystem. I hope you find your problem and I hope I find mine.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651365200113.gif
@bstaud64

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Possible to take us on a little video tour? Or at least pictures from many angles? What material is your liner? Do you have a waterproofing membrane over concrete? Concrete over a rubber liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Any pictures to help us see exactly what you have?

Waterfalls seem to be the most common cause of water loss.

Are you sure the plumbing going to the waterfall isn't leaking somewhere?

Can you lay a liner over the concrete?
If you don't like the look of a black liner, they make liner material called "rock on a roll" which has rocks printed on it.
Or, you could use a plain black liner and cover it with stones.

It needs to be concave shaped, with the sides high enough to prevent water from escaping by splashing or just plain flowing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you think the water is leaving in that one area, one attempt to fix without tearing down the waterfall, get some marine goop.
Load up the area with a lot of marine goop, it can survive under water uv etc, it also stops water. If the area is reachable and you can apply the goop, might even use a lot and stick in rocks.

Hard to speculate without a visual. I used waterfall expanding foam to redirect water from it rolling under the big waterfall rock.
I did not need it to be water tight just redirect. The expanding foam may also help, it over time, becomes a bit water tight.

Ask a Question