Pond waterfall disaster...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
A week ago, the waterfall spout lip (a small sheet of EPDM rubber) which wasn't secured (other than with friction) fell off during the night, causing the waterfall from the bog to the pond to fall too close to the pond edge, splashing water on top of the wall bricks. Since the EPDM liner wasn't completely covering the bricks, water made its way below the liner, causing "liner float" and in the morning, only half the water was left in the pond, with the bloated liner tipping some plants containers.

I refilled the pond and eventually, thanks to the pressure on the liner, managed to get all the water out from behind the liner. However, this was probably too big of a water change and 75% of the fish died (no fancy fish, thankfully, but still).

Now the pond has been restocked and I rebuilt the waterfall spout, this time gluing everything correctly as I should have done. The liner is left with several folds on the sides and bottom. I don't think I can do much about that, there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

As added safety I installed a float switch which should shut off the pump early should the water level drop by more than a few inches.

I guess I shouldn't have been refilling the pond this fast and the fish would have survived? Ugh.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Bummer, sorry to hear.

Your are correct. Although not ideal, fish can handle 100% water changes if done slowly or properly acclimated, to temp. and chemistry, with any chlorine or chloramines removed with the appropriate treatment.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Some folds are normal in most ponds, should not be an issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
A week ago, the waterfall spout lip (a small sheet of EPDM rubber) which wasn't secured (other than with friction) fell off during the night, causing the waterfall from the bog to the pond to fall too close to the pond edge, splashing water on top of the wall bricks. Since the EPDM liner wasn't completely covering the bricks, water made its way below the liner, causing "liner float" and in the morning, only half the water was left in the pond, with the bloated liner tipping some plants containers.

I refilled the pond and eventually, thanks to the pressure on the liner, managed to get all the water out from behind the liner. However, this was probably too big of a water change and 75% of the fish died (no fancy fish, thankfully, but still).

Now the pond has been restocked and I rebuilt the waterfall spout, this time gluing everything correctly as I should have done. The liner is left with several folds on the sides and bottom. I don't think I can do much about that, there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

As added safety I installed a float switch which should shut off the pump early should the water level drop by more than a few inches.

I guess I shouldn't have been refilling the pond this fast and the fish would have survived? Ugh.
I had the same thing happen to me in the middle of December. Had a big old bubble in the bottom of the liner, because the hose somehow left the filter box, didn't notice it til midnight. No fish died though. By the morning the bubble was gone, liner still intact. I don't think mine was a 75% topup, probably 40, but my fish are used to crappy conditions.

Ask a Question