waterfall problems... o_O

Reaction score
I'm currently building the waterfall (digging dirt and making a huge pile, it will be the waterfall later. Only problem is I don't want the dirt all over (to spread out so much. should I take some cinder blocks and build a small wall behind? Any ideas will be appreciated. :bowdown: I will have cement all around 1 foot around the frame to hold the rocks up (it will be reinforced with metal steaks every 2 feet). If anyone has any pictures that might look similar to what I want my to look like give me the link or post the pictures. Erick form the Pond diggers has really taken his time and helped me out with all the material that he would recommend for the price I want... If you guys ever need help or need material I would defiantly check them out at http://www.theponddigger.com/
DSCN1437.jpg
DSCN1438.jpg
ponds1.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of my waterfalls, I put cinder blocks down, then put in the dirt around the cinder blocks. But I was also putting a heavy barrel making a waterfall. The dirt will spread out some seeking a slope, and any bad rains will help do that also. You may want to make a wood box or like you said make a wall to help control it, that would help contain your dirt.

The other thing that would help it compact the dirt as you go, if you can drive on it, stomp it, get it a little wet to help it form a tighter dirt bond..........

Our dirt berm for our bog is around 4 feet high 3 feet wide 30 feet long, I drove the tractor on it over and over to compact it. That helped a lot in making the dirt stay where I wanted it.

Nice looking pond build btw

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would cover the dirt with landscape fabric, with well placed rocks and plants you can keep it in check .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Denis, I made sure everything was on both threads and since this one had one more post to it I just deleted the other one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true that will look great with plants on that hill .Some spreading ones and some taller ones to hang over the waterfall and make it look more natural .You have an asset there not a mess and it will look fantastic once your done .

Reaction score
landscape fabric? What's that, I'm still new to gardening lmao. Sissy what plants would you recommend that spread and hang over nicely? And thanks fishing 4 cars

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is a black fabric you buy for weed control it is sold in 4x50' or 4x100'. It is in lowes usually back by the decorative rock, fencing etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It depends if you want annual meaning they die back every year or you want ones that come back every year .Your best bet is a mix ,but not sure what grows good in your state .If you go to a local plant supply and tell them the size of your area your planting and if it is sun or shade or half and half then tell them it is for around a pond they can help you more .There are a couple of people on this site from your state that may have ideas for you .You do not want anything with aggressive roots .Like bamboo .The weed fabric is black and cloth like tmann said it is easy to find .You don't want to heavy fabric .I used really heavy on my hillside to retain rocks .Get the lighter weight stuff it is much cheaper and even Ollies and Big Lots carries the cheaper stuff for 5.99 for 25 feet .Not sure you have those stores ,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
weeping pines would look great there and do not shed leaves .Remember you don't want a lot of leaves in your pond .I just bought a contorted harry louders walking stick plant ,but it does shed leaves .You may want to invest in bird netting for your pond it is at lowes or home depot or most garden centers keeps predators and stuff like leaves out of your pond 7.99 for 14 x18 at lowes .You can get what they call pond netting but cost 2 times as much and the same thing

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny is a nice plant that will flow down over your rocks. Loves sun.

IMG_1862.jpg

Also there's a lot of Sedums that fill in nicely. Sedums love sun.

Here are 2 kinds of Sedums:

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

What's nice about Sedums is you can just break off a stem and stick it in the dirt and it will grow a whole new plant.

Course there are so many more, you will just have to go to the nursery and check them out for fun or shade.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought some creeping jenny after your 1 post on it,but says part shade so I put it near the bridge and 2 weeks later and it is over flowing the pot and heading under the bridge I have sedums in my yarden but what kind are they I like those .I think I see the difference in my creeping jenny it has yellowish colored leaves must be different kinds

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We don't get much sun here so that's prolly why my Creeping Jenny does fine in full sun.

The first pic of Sedum(Stonecrop) is called Sedum spurium or Dragon's Blood.
The second is Sedum (Stonecrop) sieboldii or October Daphne.
Got both at Lowes I believe.

Here are some others Sedums I have:

Some get quite tall and large but I cut the tall one's down 1/2 in mid June and they grow back nice and strong. If you don't they may fall over from their own weight. I know you will think you are murdering them but I guarantee they look just fine pretty fast again.

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The few sedum I have came from my parents house after they passed away and I have divided them and divided them ,but always kept a stake next to the 3 originals and have dug them up and dragged them from house to house over the years and now they are here in there final resting place I hope .My older son took divides from them too for his house .I wonder how they would do in a pond, never thought about them .Wonder if they are harmfull to fish

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just read on the net that some Sedums (Stonecrop) are poisonous to dogs and horses in large quantities. I don't think I would take the chance and put them in the pond. Around the pond would prolly be fine. I have tons of it around mine and some kinda flows into the pond but fish don't eat it. Some I read can be used as medicine and can also cause the trots. It' a nice deer resistant plant.

From the net:

Stonecrop (Sedum) is potentially toxic to dogs. If your dog has ingested this plant, I would watch for signs of stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea. If he/she starts to exhibit these signs I would get to a vet asap.

Family: Crassulaceae
Plant Description: Succulent perennial herb with fleshy, flat or rounded leaves; flowers 4-5-parted, yellow, white, or red.
Origin: North temporate.
Distribution: Throughout.
Where Found: Houseplant or interiorscape, landscape as herbaceous perennials; forest or natural area as native plant.
Mode: Ingestion, but low risk.
Poisonous Parts: All parts.
Symptoms: Unknown, but possibly gastrointestinal symptoms.
Toxic Principle: Alkaloids sedine, sedamine, and others.
Severity : CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
jw giveing deer the trots lol geeze could you imagine walking in your yarden barefoot and stepping in that oh dear, deers poops

Ask a Question