Waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is entirely up to you. Just remember that if you do decide to keep it running, you need to be willing & able to keep a close eye on your pond/system during less than optimal weather. If you get a build up of ice it has the potential to create an ice dam & divert the flow over the side of your liner. Splashing during the winter from a running waterfall can result in additional evaporation, so you'll need to have access to an unfrozen hose or other source of water, should you find it necessary to top up the pond.

That being said, I am also in zone 7a (NC) and I do leave my waterfalls running all winter. The ice sculptures created in the cold weather can be absolutely beautiful & the agitation from the falls helps keep an open hole in the ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My waterfall has been running 24 hours a day, seven days a week for 17 years. No problems. Like BKHpondcritters said, you will have to keep an eye on it. The bonus is that you will have some awesome ice formations!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree!
I was leary last winter of leaving my new bog running. I took a chance, left it running and kept an eye on it. It was all ok. The return water kept an opening in the pond ice.

Before the bog, I always shut my waterfall down for winter. Now I see I was just a little paranoid.

I did position my deicer a couple of feet from the return water, just in case.

Ask a Question