Watering for plants around pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ya, I can stand in the garden around the edge of my pond in a downpour and barely get a drop on me. Lol (did I mention my pond is in a tree cave) a rain gauge? Is that basically a graduated cylinder? That's a good idea too!
  • image.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're right - you have both the advantage an disadvantage of a shady yard!

And yes - mine is a super cheap plastic one that you just stick in the ground with quarter inch increments marked not the side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I'll tell you the shade has been more a blessing so far this summer... We are having quite a hot spell..it doesn't look like we're getting our thunderstorms..: $@"%}%^weatherman... Lol. So I'm watering right now.: (one half turn of the faucet) 5 min at the base of each plant so over all I guess the garden will get about 45 min

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I'll tell you the shade has been more a blessing so far this summer... We are having quite a hot spell..it doesn't look like we're getting our thunderstorms..: $@"%}%^weatherman... Lol. So I'm watering right now.: (one half turn of the faucet) 5 min at the base of each plant so over all I guess the garden will get about 45 min
Yes I've lost it!!.... I'm now replying to myself... I'm still watering 2 hrs and 15 min later... I hope the little plants enjoy it....!!!! Cause it's the last time their gonna see a hose this year.... Lol

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
That's why I've stopped putting faith in local weather forecasts. I do it myself the way farmers have for decades. Lol.

Regarding irrigation. What I've done is take an 8 gallon plastic trash bin and have my filter's backwash output feed into the bin during cleanings then have a powerful separate pump push the water through micro/drip system throughout the garden. That organic matter in the dirty clean out water is like compost. The plants love that stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
The pump is a good idea, I just use a watering can or a hose connected to the faucet in the bottom of my filter.. but the house doesn't get great flow.. a pump would help that for sure

Ask a Question