WAYNE Pond Bio Filter

Reaction score
I got my Tetra Pond filter hooked now and its running great. Look the problem was the out take connection. On the generic one it only has a 1/2 inch, which the water wasn't getting out quick enough. The tetra comes with a 1 inch and its perfect.

I do have another problem. During this time of my water had turned green, like a pea soup. Do I need do drain out the water and refill or let the filter get it? I have the filter running for 2 days now.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Try doing only a partial water change, and then let things adjust.

Other than the 750 Gal. water pump, and the UV clearifier, my pre-filter, and my boi filter is home made. The prefilter is inground next to my pond where the pump is, and the 27 gallon boi foilter is above ground behind the water fall. The UV clearifier is between the pump, and the boi filter.

Ckeck out the picasa link to view my pictures on my signiture. The pictures aren't in any actual order of beginning to end, but they might give you a better idea how I assembled the set up. So far the filter and pond system is working quite well. The water is clear, and the fish and frogs seem to be happy.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its gonna take a while to get your bacterial colony up and running at full capaxcity,, so be patient. your tetrapond should of had a 1&1/4 inch outlet... but aslong as its doing its thing. did you get your filter at lowes or online? they have a 9watt uv if you want one..its also tetra pond. you might want t6o buy some beneficial bacteria to speed things up.

Reaction score
I bought mine online.You are right, it is the 1 1/4 outlet. I have a 9v UV that I had for my fish tank. I will through that in too. Then just wait. I will keep you guys updated.

Reaction score
I have a Waynes's Pond Bio Filter. It seems like to me the input and output should be reversed. I guess I'm saying I don't understand how it works. We've cleaned the pad 3 times and then I read this evening, you shouldn't clean the pad.

The water going into the top is green, so the water going out seems to be green. This evening when I opened the top, a bunch of flying insects flew out. It was also the 3rd time I've cleaned the pad.

It doesn't seem logical the bio spheres will hold the bad inside and just clean water goes back into the pond.

Am I being too impatient?? :) Have only had the filter about 1 1/2 months.

Have also added fresh water clams and water lettuce to aid in the cleansing. And Yes, I don't remember the size of the pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
biological filtration needs a bacterial colony to establish itself in the filter...speed it up by adding some beneficial bacteria. never clean the bio spheres just the pads and only with pond water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If the bio spheres have an established colony, then I would not worry about what I cleaned the pads with. The spheres and the chamber (undisturbed) are in are more than enough to rejuvineate the system in hours.

I clean my tank filters this way and I have sometimes over a 1000 baby koi in a tank. As long as I don't wash the spheres or other media with city water, I can clean the pads with a garden hose all I want and the tank is just fine afterward.
There are millions of anerobic bacteria all over everything in there, they do not have any problem reproducing any that I kill with this cleaning.

I am not familiar with your Waynes bio filter most commercial ones are APOS parden the abbreviation. If you have a 55 gallon drum filter, the algae that is solution will be stripped out by the time it overflows back to the pond.

Reaction score
How long does it take for the bacterial colony to become effective? I did wash the pad with the garden hose. Didn't want to rinse the pad in the pond water and put that stuff back in the pond.

You think I'm being to impatient??

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
...if you use the hose ring out the pad and dip it in the pond for a minute before replacing it in the filter. adding some beneficial bacteria to your pond will speed up the colonization process but cleaning the pads in pond water is done in a bucket not the pond

Reaction score
thanks for that info. Never would have thought to do that. Maybe in another week or so, the pond will look clearer.

Again, thanks for the info.

Ask a Question