Weeds around Pond

Reaction score
My new pond is low down and has some water runoff. Unfortunately the stoned areas in the hill behind has some major weed issues, I am wondering if there is a weed killer I can use that is harmless to fish?

I know it is ideal to not use weed killer around the pond but I pulled all the weeds a couple of weeks ago and they are already a foot tall again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My new pond is low down and has some water runoff. Unfortunately the stoned areas in the hill behind has some major weed issues, I am wondering if there is a weed killer I can use that is harmless to fish?

I know it is ideal to not use weed killer around the pond but I pulled all the weeds a couple of weeks ago and they are already a foot tall again

As weird as this may sound, I use aerosolized non-chlorinated brake cleaner for weeds if I have to go the chemical route (though I try not to, but sometimes I need to). I use it because it is very effective at killing weeds, even though it isn't advertised as such, and it is a very volatile liquid that evaporates almost immediately, rather than sinking into the ground. There are no long-term hazards to chronic exposure, like there are with most herbicides. If it could get in the pond directly while spraying it, I definitely couldn't recommend it, but if you're just worried about weed killer soaking into the ground and then making its way into the pond, than this may be a good solution since it will evaporate rather than seep into the ground.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what about using vinegar? It kills weeds and is nontoxic. You would have to be careful about it changing ph if too much got into pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Could you lay some plastic over the weeded area and suffocate them? I personally am afraid to use weed killer and pond chemicals, but that's just my opinion. I'll be interested to hear what other folks have tried.

Reaction score
NBS VITE is an effective product that help me to get rid of string algae and blanket weed from pond.

Ask a Question