Weird Discovery

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small backyard pond with 6-7 various fish. I was doing some cleaning and noticed what looked like a stick on the bottom. I pulled it out and discovered what looks like an eel. It was partially eaten at the "head". This pond has been there for 20 years or more and never have I seen anything like this. How could this possibly find it's way into my pond ?? We have a creek about half a mile north. Any thoughts ??

Attachments

• IMG_8127.JPG
    IMG_8127.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8131.JPG
    IMG_8131.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 17

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a small backyard pond with 6-7 various fish. I was doing some cleaning and noticed what looked like a stick on the bottom. I pulled it out and discovered what looks like an eel. It was partially eaten at the "head". This pond has been there for 20 years or more and never have I seen anything like this. How could this possibly find it's way into my pond ?? We have a creek about half a mile north. Any thoughts ??
What state do you live in and have you had heavy rains/flash floods in the last year or so? Looks like an American eel from what I can tell with the damage to the head. They’ll overland during heavy storms with flash flooding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
New Jersey. We've had a ton of rain over the last two weeks and maybe came from the creek ??
Thanks for the thoughts.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
New Jersey. We've had a ton of rain over the last two weeks and maybe came from the creek ??
Thanks for the thoughts.
Maybe an accidental drop from a fly by bird? Or yes if flooding occurred from creek then it could have wiggled in there but wonder why it is damaged? Maybe was dead when it washed in there?
W/o a crystall ball one will never know
Crystalball-46.gif

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for the thoughts.
That would be my guess, they can slither over the ground like a snake as long as they stay wet. You’re definitely in their rang with them being transatlantic and inhabiting both salt and freshwater during their lifecycle.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
When I first set up my pond, I had a crow bring some dead goldfish, partially consumed, to my pond. Thought they were mine until I got a head count, someone else in the neighborhood lost theirs.

Ask a Question