Well the attack happened

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have to admit, they are awesome birds and those are some great pictures. But they can stay far from my pond! I was really worried that the story was going to end with the loss of all your fish. Sorry that you lost any at all.

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Beautiful pond! Incredible bird, sorry about your fish and I hope he doesn't come back!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dang birds! I really like them, but my perspective has changed since I became a pond owner.

Just remember that most of their life is spent hunting to survive. They sure are pesky to pond owners but we'd do the same thing if we were in their situation.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Never seen a Heron near my house, but my backyard is quite open and in a residential area. They aren't very common in Nebraska unless you're near a lake or something, which I am not. The first time one visits I can probably say goodbye to my fancy goldfish.

Sorry for your lost fish RobAmy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry about the 2 fish. Glad you didn't loose more. Hope he doesn't come back and try again!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our pond is quiet, isolated, backs up to our woods, corn fields around, no houses close and one tiny 5 lb yorkie to protect it. Who is never outside without us. They would usually land in the back field and spend 1/2 an hour to stalk up to the pond. Even after netting I watched them walk around the pond for 45 minutes to an hour trying to find a way in.

Once the herons found it they never stopped. Daily visits usually more than once. I have no choice but to net my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So sorry this happened to you, but MAN, that certainly is a beautiful and majestic bird! When we had a visit last year from "ole blue", I paused briefly to appreciate his magnificence, then ran outside kicking and screaming. It must be super-cool to be able to "bring up the footage" like that!

So, are you going to net now?

Ask a Question