What are some Non-aquatic plants / garden plants that do well in a bog?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know we all have something growing and thriving in our bogs that isn’t usually thought of as an aquatic plant.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How about tomatoes?
083.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have a hosta as a potted marginal plant in my pond. Was going to be temporary until I got "real pond plants" but I rather like it so it might stay (at least until I need the planter it is in).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm giving "fanal astilbe" a chance in my waterfall. I only added it a few days ago after discovering it could tolerate wet soil. So far it seems to be adapting really well, and it's a very beautiful plant.

1594487218560.png

I feel like the pictures of these plants I've found don't quite do the colors justice--but maybe I've just got a bad computer monitor. The leaves are a deep green, and the flower is a rich magenta/fuscia. They say that if you leave the flower stocks rather than cutting them down when the flowers fall off, the stocks can add visual interest in the fall.

As I said, I only added it a few days ago. It's not in an ideal location either, as up on the waterfall its constantly getting splashed. However, it does seem to be doing well.

I took the advice I found on here and added a Stella De Oro Daylily, although it's a daylily hybrid and I wasn't able to find anything about it tolerating bog conditions like other daylilies. However, it also seems to be doing well. It's flowering a the moment, and all of the foliage appears healthy.

In one of my ponds, I have Virginia creeper that is creeping its way into the pond from the land. I am surprised how successful the underwater runners are (though I wouldn't say the plant is thriving underwater by any means). In previous years the creeper that went into the water just died and rotted very quickly. I wonder if it's possible that it is slowly adapting to the conditions a little more each year? There are some plants that can be "trained" to be emergent after all.

Attachments

• 1594487089561.png
    1594487089561.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 68

Ask a Question