What can I do about the scum building on the sides of my pond? (Pics inside)

Reaction score
Hey guys, three more questions if that's alright:

1. What exactly is the difference between an external bio filter and what I have already? The water goes through a filter, up a tube and out of the pond into an external bucket full of gravel which pours back into the pond again. How would the effect of an external bio filter be different than this?

2. This is sort of unrelated to the original topic, but now that I have an order of floating plants on the way, I'm thinking the wire screen I have covering the pond is going to get in the way an awful lot. Does anyone here have any experience with building a small wall around the edges of ponds so that the fish can't jump out? Mine are usually pretty determined to do so, and it's not pleasant when it happens...less pleasant when my dogs find them first and roll in them. Would a small wall work, and if so, approximately how high should it be/what should it be made of?

3. Is there something better than gravel that I could be putting into the bucket...? I.e. something that would filter it better?

Thanks again for the help

Reaction score
If you do a search for the diy bio filter then you can see the difference. There are different kinds and you can choose whats best for you. If the filter you are talking about is a screen on a pipe that is fine. But I think the filter most of us are referring to is and all in one water and solids filter. Filtering the water is usually done biologically with good bacteria evening out fish waste, leave's and dirt decay. In a bio filter you usually have different stages of filtering. At the point the water comes in you have something that collects the big stuff like pieces of algae that broke off or leaves or whatever. Then as the water passes through, your filtration gets finer to the point it exits back into the pond. I use sponges, scrubby pads, and ac filters. The good bacteria will grow in something like the sponges.

Reaction score
If you do a search for the diy bio filter then you can see the difference. There are different kinds and you can choose whats best for you. If the filter you are talking about is a screen on a pipe that is fine. But I think the filter most of us are referring to is and all in one water and solids filter. Filtering the water is usually done biologically with good bacteria evening out fish waste, leave's and dirt decay. In a bio filter you usually have different stages of filtering. At the point the water comes in you have something that collects the big stuff like pieces of algae that broke off or leaves or whatever. Then as the water passes through, your filtration gets finer to the point it exits back into the pond. I use sponges, scrubby pads, and ac filters. The good bacteria will grow in something like the sponges.

Reaction score
Here is one way its done. This is a little over the top for what you need but it might help with ideas.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]jmhiyDCRTVM[/MEDIA]"]

Reaction score
Here is one way its done. This is a little over the top for what you need but it might help with ideas.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]jmhiyDCRTVM[/MEDIA]"]

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very informative but not entirely accurate.

The anerobic bacteria will start on it's own, no need to buy anything (gimmick that somebody came up with) if you have fish to prime it for you. In my 42 years of experience with ponds, it takes 2-3 weeks to get it going.

So you can buy this stuff and wait 4-6 weeks as stated, or do nothing and 2-3 weeks later the process will work by itself.

I prefer the natural and cheaper method.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very informative but not entirely accurate.

The anerobic bacteria will start on it's own, no need to buy anything (gimmick that somebody came up with) if you have fish to prime it for you. In my 42 years of experience with ponds, it takes 2-3 weeks to get it going.

So you can buy this stuff and wait 4-6 weeks as stated, or do nothing and 2-3 weeks later the process will work by itself.

I prefer the natural and cheaper method.

Reaction score
Someone said these smaller ones are harder to keep from getting green and keep clean. They are correct. Think about a kiddie swimming pool as compared to a big in ground pool. The kiddie pool has to be cleaned daily. However, a small pond like yours CAN be maintained to stay fairly clear and pretty. I have the same one you do. Here's what I do:

A few things come to mind. Your pond form looks exactly the same as mine (50 gallon kidney bean). It appears that because you have it buried all the way it is filling up with a lot of grass and other vegetation and dirt that is going to continue to get rotten and feed algae like guests over for steak dinner. What I did with mine that really is a GREAT help in keeping that stuff out without having to use a net covering it (and marring the beautiful view IMO) is I only buried it halfway (up to the underside of the shelf ledge that is on the one side, yours probably has that but i can't tell). And i lined the exposed walls with decorative slate rock. What this does is it keeps out a LOT of vegetation and dirt from falling over in it. I rarely have to skim a lot of junk out.

Secondly, with zero plant life in there you have nothing competing for the oxygen that the algae needs and wants. YEs, it is a small pond, but you can easily get to scale plants. I have 50% of my surface covered in plants and I know that has helped keep algae blooms down. The water is fairly still except for the side where the waterfall rushes in, providing a nice oxy burst. but for the remainder its kinda still so that my mini water lillies are flourishing. they are growing great and providing a lot of shade. I also have a pot of mini cattails in there and in the shelf ledge I have two other marginal water plants. I have anacharis growing in various places directly into the gravel on the bottom, and floating hyacinths. My goal with all the greenery is to keep it getting most of the oxy that the algae wants.

I also see that in the first pic it isn't even full. Maybe that was a temporary thing. But do keep it much fuller than that because with a 50 gallon pond or around taht size they are already shallow, so you want to keep it topped off as often as it needs. Since I live in the city and have chlorinated water I just keep a five gallon bucket full near the pond that I fill up each time I have to top it off. 24 hours of sitting in that bucket naturally gets rid of the chlorine w/out having to use a chlorine remover.

My next suggestion - I know you are using a bucket filtration system, and that is a good idea, my waterfall is similar to that. I have a good layer of rocks in each section and the water hose goes directly into it so it creates a nice filter, but in addition I have a mechanical/biological box filter I bought from lowes that really works great for this size pond. It is good enough for up to 200 gal's so you can imagine it does well for 50. I only paid about $30 for it. It consists of a rectangular black box (not too big for this pond) and you put your pump directly in first. Surrounding the pump is good bio media, then two layers of spongey filters - one finer grained then the other. Then you put the top on which is vented to allow debris in for filtration and a hole in the center for your tubing going to the pump. It is mechanical, however, also biological as bateria grows in the sponge filters (its more like ac filter materail than really a sponge) and the bio media in the bottom. This system has worked well for every small pond I have had. In conjunction with the gravel filter I've had good results. If you are interested I am sure I could google up a product pic for you. If you wanna save bucks it would also be easy to make, i just enjoyed the convenience of buying it already set up.

I also have a small bundle of barley in mine so that it keeps a good balance as it decays it puts out an enzyme that helps fight algae. I think it is called an enzyme, let's just say as it decays it is good for algae prevention. If you use it, you don't need a big bail just a small bundle in netting and keep it where there is good oxygen in the water.

Last, I dunno but that looks like a lot of fish for such a small pond. I have four med size goldfish in mine and that seems like a good balance, I could probably have more but dont want to over stock. I think you have quite a few in that small pond. Like i said I am not 100% sure but I think thats a lot of fish for a small pond especially since you have no plants in there to offset the balance.

I hope this helps. These small ponds can be a nightmare or a joy. I have been working hard to keep mine a joy however I have had larger ones so I have had some experience with trial and error.

This all sounds like a lot but it isn't once you get the hang of it it takes no time at all. Getting this stuff done when setting up is the hardest part and should IMO be considered as a natural part of pond set up. Setting up better in the beginning will make for less heartache and labor on the pond regularly later on. If you do these things you can probably shed that white liner and go back to a more natural looking set up. The algae that grows on my walls does NOT make the water look green at all. It gives it a nice patina that makes it look more natural. I think you just think the side walls are making it look green. That pic you showed of the white liner - that green muck looks like way more than just green side walls. You can better tell if it is the water or not by scooping a cup of water out of your pond in a site cup. IF the water looks greenish, then its the water, not just the walls.

Good luck!!!!

Reaction score
char said:
Hey guys, three more questions if that's alright:

1. What exactly is the difference between an external bio filter and what I have already? The water goes through a filter, up a tube and out of the pond into an external bucket full of gravel which pours back into the pond again. How would the effect of an external bio filter be different than this?

2. This is sort of unrelated to the original topic, but now that I have an order of floating plants on the way, I'm thinking the wire screen I have covering the pond is going to get in the way an awful lot. Does anyone here have any experience with building a small wall around the edges of ponds so that the fish can't jump out? Mine are usually pretty determined to do so, and it's not pleasant when it happens...less pleasant when my dogs find them first and roll in them. Would a small wall work, and if so, approximately how high should it be/what should it be made of?

3. Is there something better than gravel that I could be putting into the bucket...? I.e. something that would filter it better?

Thanks again for the help

Again, if you raise that pond a bit, you likely wont need that netting anymore. You have all that debris and leaves flying in because it is so clsoe to the ground. Having it lifted and raised prevents drain off into the pond (i bet this is causing a lot of probs for you) and it will keep all that grass and junk getting in. The only time i have debris get in mine is after a big storm with a lot of wind that whips stuff into it.

And the way mine is set up I don't fill it up high enough for fish to jump out. No way can they jump out of mine.

Here is a pic of mine when I first set it up, the plants have since grown considerably. YOu can't even see my lily pads yet in this one, but they were working their way up!

I no longer have the fountain in the center since the lily pads dont like all that current and moving water. I instead removed the splitter from the pump and now the water fall has heavier flow and provides good oxygen while keeping it still on the side with the lilys and water hyacinths.
I also need to get more slate to build the ledge on the top to hide the lip of the pond. I dont like the way that looks now, but I paid 200 bucks for my rock and that just went around the entire pond as you see here, and in the interest of my wallet figure I will get more slate/rock later on. This is good enough for now. LOL

Attachments

• downsized_0704002015a[1].jpg
    downsized_0704002015a[1].jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 344
Reaction score
Ok. I'm not trying to be a windbag here with all the posts, but since you have the same pond I do your thread has intrigued me, I just wanted to ask, what kind of fish you got in there? They dont look like goldfish, so maybe that is why yours are jumping out and mine are not. My goldfish cant get the arc needed to jump that far, maybe you have a way more rambunctious variety of fish? What are they ?

Reaction score
If the smaller ponds are filtered properly it really isn't that hard to keep them clean. I have 2 preformed ponds that are connected and am using a "skippy" style filter, It's only a kitchen trash can (32 qts) my water is clear. I have algae growing on the sides in places but that is totally normal. I have a few plants but by all means the surface water is only covered by about 25%. My pond gets 6-8 hours of direct sun light. I do not have any fish, and don't plan on any this season as I don't have a winter home for them right now and the depth of my pond would not allow them to survive a winter up here. I have 4 or 5 frogs, maybe more that seem to enjoy my pond, I think they migrated from the swimming pool, because they kept getting netted and booted out of the pool area.

Reaction score
DLWyman said:
If the smaller ponds are filtered properly it really isn't that hard to keep them clean. I have 2 preformed ponds that are connected and am using a "skippy" style filter, It's only a kitchen trash can (32 qts) my water is clear. I have algae growing on the sides in places but that is totally normal. I have a few plants but by all means the surface water is only covered by about 25%. My pond gets 6-8 hours of direct sun light. I do not have any fish, and don't plan on any this season as I don't have a winter home for them right now and the depth of my pond would not allow them to survive a winter up here. I have 4 or 5 frogs, maybe more that seem to enjoy my pond, I think they migrated from the swimming pool, because they kept getting netted and booted out of the pool area.

Having no fish probably helps as there is not as much waste.

I think the alage that grows on the sides and on plants gives the pond a more realistic look. Mine has that too but the water is crystal clear.

I agree, a good filter is paramount. A lot of new pond owners of these smaller ones don't realize that until its too late and the water is mucky and overtaken by algae blooms.

Reaction score
DLWyman said:

Also having the surface covered with plants 50 to 60% just helps to provide shade to reduce algae and provide a cooler environment for the fish. If you don't have fish not as necessary as if you did, as 5 to 6 hours of full sun would be pretty hot on the little buggers w/out much shade.

Ask a Question