What can I do about the scum building on the sides of my pond? (Pics inside)

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Very informative but not entirely accurate.

The anerobic bacteria will start on it's own, no need to buy anything (gimmick that somebody came up with) if you have fish to prime it for you. In my 42 years of experience with ponds, it takes 2-3 weeks to get it going.

So you can buy this stuff and wait 4-6 weeks as stated, or do nothing and 2-3 weeks later the process will work by itself.

I prefer the natural and cheaper method.

Why would anyone want to either add anaerobic bacteria or want it to grow in their pond?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It naturally grows everywhere there is running water and a place to colonize. These are the good guys and this is a good thing to help keep the balance of the eco system in the pond.
I just don't think it is necessary to add it from a bottle.

Reaction score
OP here; sorry about the long delay in response, I gave up on the pond for a while after it turned completely black. I'm just now beginning to start on it again though and am hoping this time I can keep it more or less clear for a while.

Here's a picture of the pond once it had been emptied out:
wvcv1k.jpg

And a picture of the underwater pond lights and a brick that had been in there (the light on the right had been cleaned off):
2zqhdle.jpg

So I'm not sure what caused all that coal-type blackness, but I figure it must have come from the bucket filter.

Topper said:
My next suggestion - I know you are using a bucket filtration system, and that is a good idea, my waterfall is similar to that. I have a good layer of rocks in each section and the water hose goes directly into it so it creates a nice filter, but in addition I have a mechanical/biological box filter I bought from lowes that really works great for this size pond. It is good enough for up to 200 gal's so you can imagine it does well for 50. I only paid about $30 for it. It consists of a rectangular black box (not too big for this pond) and you put your pump directly in first. Surrounding the pump is good bio media, then two layers of spongey filters - one finer grained then the other. Then you put the top on which is vented to allow debris in for filtration and a hole in the center for your tubing going to the pump. It is mechanical, however, also biological as bateria grows in the sponge filters (its more like ac filter materail than really a sponge) and the bio media in the bottom. This system has worked well for every small pond I have had. In conjunction with the gravel filter I've had good results.

First, thanks for your thorough responses! Is this the box filter you're talking about?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_60024-48650-MFBX500_4294857869_4294937087?productId=3036338
I'm not sure how exactly my pond pump would fit in there or if it would at all...it's sort of an odd shape. Do you need a special pump to use in it or should most any small pond pump fit?

Topper said:
Ok. I'm not trying to be a windbag here with all the posts, but since you have the same pond I do your thread has intrigued me, I just wanted to ask, what kind of fish you got in there? They dont look like goldfish, so maybe that is why yours are jumping out and mine are not. My goldfish cant get the arc needed to jump that far, maybe you have a way more rambunctious variety of fish? What are they ?

They're a variety of dace, creek chub and shiners. I've always had good luck with them and they are very hardy since they've survived all the times that the pond has clouded up with algae, but they do like to jump whenever they get the chance, unfortunately.

Reaction score
You need to have water that is mature otherwise the algae microorganisms will grow exponentially once it gets a solid amount of food such as fish waste build up or uneaten pellets. My solution to this is a strong filter and shade for your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
into an external bucket full of gravel which pours back into the pond again
Is there any plants in this bucket if not get the fastest growing plant you can get your hands on it may add some maintenance but that's what small ponds require.
floating plants on the way
Put your net over the plants hyacinth and or lettuce can handle it .
Id save my money on equipment and lean more toward a maintenance routine. Feed less let the fish nibble on the green walls that will grow and do 30% water changes every week. get some fast growing plants into the pond and cut them back as needed.

Ask a Question