What changes are you going to make to your pond this Spring?

Reaction score
Ya know I got the half barrel and liner I planned to and I ran water through it and had water hyacinth in it put never put any filter material in it. My pond was more of a hassle than a pleasure this season. At one poing, I almost kicked all the rocks etc into it and covered it. Hopefully next year will be better.

Reaction score
Well my first problem was that the rain collector barrel I have been using as an upflow gravel filter tipped forward into the pond. This allowed tons of the gravel to fall into the pond, and of course a ton of debris. I tried to lift it out but it was too heavy. So I had to cut a big hole in the top and scoop out a lot of the rocks. I think this caused a small oranda of mine to catch a bacterial infection. The fish was dead before I noticed any problem. My plants ddidn't grow well, and I coukdnt even keep hyacinth from melting away. Then my UV bulb died so the pond has had a green tint for a couple months. I didn't do enough filter maintenance so I think when I finally did clean them i cleaned them too thurohghly which caused a cycle bump, which didn't help with the green water. I just ready for the whole thing to freeze over!

Reaction score
I did manage to pull some of the iris I planted inbetween rocks around my pond but have more to pull.................later. It's a big job moving all those rocks and the roots on those suckers are a hot mess!

Ohhhhhhhh, love that nice big flat boulder slice @Lisaebetten :)
Thanks for the warning!

Reaction score
Well my first problem was that the rain collector barrel I have been using as an upflow gravel filter tipped forward into the pond. This allowed tons of the gravel to fall into the pond, and of course a ton of debris. I tried to lift it out but it was too heavy. So I had to cut a big hole in the top and scoop out a lot of the rocks. I think this caused a small oranda of mine to catch a bacterial infection. The fish was dead before I noticed any problem. My plants ddidn't grow well, and I coukdnt even keep hyacinth from melting away. Then my UV bulb died so the pond has had a green tint for a couple months. I didn't do enough filter maintenance so I think when I finally did clean them i cleaned them too thurohghly which caused a cycle bump, which didn't help with the green water. I just ready for the whole thing to freeze over!
I put 2 orandas in my pond because my niece's tank kept leaking and she just didn't want the up keep anymore not that she has a REAL full time job. The are doing great but am debating on bringing them in. I have read @ZmanArt007 thread already. I won't gamble with them but would like to keep them out as I don't want the up keep inside all winter. What do ya think? I will have heating and air stone near surface. I'll keep my pump going until there is ice build up. Have you had any die over winter?

Reaction score
I put one in the pond. A small one. It lived about 6 months with no ice, 4 months with ice, and 2 months with no ice before dying of a bacterial infection after the filter dumped into the pond. Coincidence? I don't know.

Ask a Question